turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Help with wood type

Started by Basser69, October 27, 2011, 07:12:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Basser69

Any ideas on this wood type? It came from a pallet. I thought it was walnut but it smells like no walnut I have ever been around. Two pictures in two lite types.

callmakerman

Wide grain almost reminds me of Black locust but I've never seen it used in pallets.  Bill

Basser69

Thanks for the help Bill. Does black locust get hard as a rock? The chop saw that I was using (with a new blade) was screaming on the cut.

Scott

redarrow

It looks a lot like the pallet lumber we use to get at GM. Looked like walnut .It came from south America so be careful and wear a respirator..

BOB_HARWELL

South American wood, sometimes used in place of Honduras mahogany in furniture industry. Not sure of spelling, Lupus. Is it much heavier than it looks?
Does it feel oily?
          BOB

Basser69

Thanks for the help guys! And yes, it is heaver than oak and it does have an oily feel to it.

merocustomcalls

decoykrvr

Based on the pictures and hardness, I think it's probably Brazilian Walnut (Ipe) which has a janka hardness of 3680.  It makes great strikers.  I got some several years ago from a company which used it as flooring for enclosed trailers, and they complained about how it ate saw blades and had to be drilled to fasten to the bed.

Basser69

Thanks for all the info guys! Can Ipe or Jatoba have a pink tint to it? This stuff does in spots.

Scott

Longbeardfever4ever

Looks like jatoba to me. Also known as brazilian cherry.
Hook's Custom Calls
Keep The Fever Custom Calls
Romans 3:24

decoykrvr

Most of the Brazilian Cherry I've worked will have a light greenish-yellow cast to it as it's worked which I assume oxidises, since it finishes to a beautiful reddish-brown.  The wood has a fruity smell when sanded.  I really don't remember if the Brazilian Walnut had any red or pink tints.  In either case, both the Brazilian Cherry and Walnut make great strikers.  I don't go into the woods without a Brazilian Cherry striker and would rate it as one of the top 5 striker woods IMO, since it will run on most call surfaces and has a great range of sounds.