turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Long Beard XR Choke Tube?

Started by Westernmassman, February 02, 2016, 04:41:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Westernmassman

Going to try these 3" shells in my 1300 Winchester. Has anyone tried choke tubes besides the Carlson's Long Beard tubes? If successful do you know the % or thousands of restriction? I am glad to try the Carlson's but perhaps there are alternatives?

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Westernmassman on February 02, 2016, 04:41:59 PM
Going to try these 3" shells in my 1300 Winchester. Has anyone tried choke tubes besides the Carlson's Long Beard tubes? If successful do you know the % or thousands of restriction? I am glad to try the Carlson's but perhaps there are alternatives?

I have shot Carlson's WLB chokes and Trulock's WLB chokes in various thread types. Those are the 2 brands of chokes that I've shot that have been specifically designed for the WLB shells.

Here's a link to an evaluation of the Trulock WLB chokes http://allaboutshooting.com/blogs/blog/98749511-trulock-long-beard-turkey-chokes

I also shot 32 different chokes through 7 different guns and 3" WLB shells with 1.75 oz of #6 shot for the article "Choking Winchester's Long Beard XR" in the March/April 2015 issue of "Turkey Country" magazine. Several Carlson & Trulock WLB chokes were evaluated along with many others not specifically designed for WLB shells.

Last year, between early August and early December, I also evaluated a number of different chokes with the 3" WLB shells with 1 7/8 oz of #6 shot. That's still an ongoing project.

I hope that helps some.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

357MAGNOLE

I dont have the same gun, but I really like the Indian Creek .665 with the 3" XR #6's. 

I know thats kind of apples to oranges, but out of both my Winchester SX3 and the Stoeger I am getting 200+ in the 10" at 40 yards.

I get a little bit more with the Stoeger. 220 on average.

Stoeger M3000 at 25

Stoeger M3000 at 40

25 yard pattern with Winchester

40 yard with Winchester

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."--Thomas Jefferson

Westernmassman

possum58

Quote from: Westernmassman on February 02, 2016, 04:41:59 PM

According to Carlsons 2016 Catalog the Winchester LB choke is .660, not being sure which choke is which the Browning Invector LB  is .665

Cane Cutter

I have not heard enough to make me choose one over an Indian Creek
Bringin tha boom to ya room!

Westernmassman

Cane Cutter: Which Indian Creek? I normally use Nitros in this shotgun, but it is a PIA to access these shells in MA so I am looking into alternatives.