OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Will this camo get me busted? Also SX3 choke recommendations, drilling/tapping..

Started by jdavenp3, February 21, 2014, 12:45:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jdavenp3

I have a multifaceted post. First, I bought a Sx3 off GunBroker at what I thought was a really nice deal. It has a custom Cerakote job on it in what appears to be a olive drabish type camo. Looks nice to me but I am afraid it will get me busted when not in a blind. What do you guys think? Picture below.

Secondly, what chokes are being used by those with Invector Plus barrels? This gun is the 26'', 3.5'' variety. Thought about a Indian Creek or Sumtoy. Probably going to run the new LongBeard XR or a htl mag blend. Finally, has anyone drilled/tapped their SX3? Looking to put a Burris FastFire 3 but saw some post where they mentioned Winchester advised against it due to the receiver's alloy.

Picture of camo

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

Longshanks

I would be looking into painting that gun. Anything white and turkey hunting don't go together very well.

drum817

I think SumToy would be a GREAT choice for your choke!!!  As far as the camo pattern goes...I'm gonna have to agree with the others.  I would personally change that camo pattern.  If it were a plain black synthetic gun it wouldn't matter.....but that pattern looks kinda' bright white to me and like Longshanks said "Anything white and turkey hunting don't go together very well".  Congrats on your new gun...I'm sure It'll shoot great!!!
"Freedom Has Never Been Free"

THattaway

You could easily mist over it with olive drab till you tone it down to what you are looking for.
"Turkeys ain't nothing but big quail son."-Dad

"The truth is that no one really gives a dam how many turkeys you kill."-T

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

jdavenp3

Yeah I may just mist it to tone it down or have it dipped in something unique. I guess I am color blind because I thought it was way darker than what y'all are thinking. No big deal though, I'll fix her up to kill some birds.

Ocoee Ridge Runner

JD, I shoot the same gun with Magblends and get great patterns with a Rob Roberts Final Strut .660 choke. I get around 190 in the ten at forty yards with a nice even pattern. I tried both the Indian creek .665 and .675 and like the RR patterns better. Also, the RR is much easier to clean than the IC.

Ocoee Ridge Runner

I also contacted Winchester about drilling and tapping the SX3 and was told it is not recommended because shooting heavy turkey loads could cause the screws to loosen in the alloy receiver. You could go the Speedbead route.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: jdavenp3 on February 21, 2014, 12:45:49 AM
I have a multifaceted post. First, I bought a Sx3 off GunBroker at what I thought was a really nice deal. It has a custom Cerakote job on it in what appears to be a olive drabish type camo. Looks nice to me but I am afraid it will get me busted when not in a blind. What do you guys think? Picture below.

Secondly, what chokes are being used by those with Invector Plus barrels? This gun is the 26'', 3.5'' variety. Thought about a Indian Creek or Sumtoy. Probably going to run the new LongBeard XR or a htl mag blend. Finally, has anyone drilled/tapped their SX3? Looking to put a Burris FastFire 3 but saw some post where they mentioned Winchester advised against it due to the receiver's alloy.

Picture of camo

It's always difficult to tell from a photograph, especially if you used a flash but that gun does look pretty white in the picture. There are lots of things you could easily do to darken it however.

My SX3 has the gray finish on the stock, receiver and barrel and blends very well into most environments.

I have not had mine drilled and tapped but a visit to my gunsmith and inspection of the receiver, inside and out, shows that it is possible. There is enough material there.

If you were to have it done however, you want to use a gunsmith with experience doing that to those guns. It's also important that you do not remove the receiver mounted base once it's been installed.

Screwing and unscrewing steel screws into and from an aluminum receiver is just not a good idea. If you wanted to use the gun without the scope, you can just remove it and leave the base in place.

(Whenever I put a base on a shotgun, I never intend to remove it and use J.B. Weld under the base as well as permanent thread sealer on the base screws. I understand that's not an option for everyone however.)

If I had that done, and did not go for the permanent installation that I use, I'd probably use a light "dot" type sight like the Burris FFIII on a receiver base or with the SpeedBead mount which would not require you to have the receiver drilled and tapped.

My gun shoots to point of aim but I do currently have a set of the Truglo Pro-Series rib mounted sights on it just to make it a bit more precise. That's another very good option.

I know you'll enjoy that gun and wish you all the best in the turkey woods this spring.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

jdavenp3

Thanks for all of the information guys. Does anyone have a reputable gunsmith in the NW Ga area, or that I could even ship to for that matter, that could do the drill/tap job. I plan on leaving the optic permanently. Just going to be used as a turkey specific gun.

3" 870 Shell Shucker

If you don't go the SumToy route, which I think is a very good route to go with, then I'd go with an Indian Creek BDS SS .665 choke.  I am seeing a lot of good results being posted from SumToy chokes.  That's hard to argue with.

jdavenp3

Indian Creek is 1a and Sumtoy is 1b if for no other reason than I have had an IC choke before and have never dealt with Sumtoy. Heard nothing but awesome things out of them but the familiarity with IC slightly trumps it right now.

darn2ten

As I had said in another post, don't over look the SSX. In my Invector plus barrel it is neck and neck with the IC. But for Invector plus as has already been stated above, my top three would be IC, Sumtoy, or SSX really in no particular order. I've never tried a Rob Robert's, so I can't speak for that. Polish and deep clean that barrel and I'm willing to bet with the right shells that you would be pleased with any of those.

RAY

That gun would be perfect for shooting snow geese! And I can't believe Winchester didn't drill and tap it from the factory? My SX2 was drilled and tapped from the factory with no issues.