OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Wider Choke for Rem 11-87

Started by FL-Boss, April 12, 2013, 09:56:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FL-Boss

REM 11-87 SM

I want to try some "looser" chokes... like 670 -.680.   I have tried the Jelly Heads ( .660 and .665) Wrights #1 -.670.   They put up awesome numbers at 40 yards in the 10in... but I want a more spread out pattern at closer ranges.... like 25-30 yards.

I shoot only HEVI #7, 3.5in.

Any idea's ???

Tom Foolery

Philippe

Get away from the hevi and switch to lead and maybe swap to a PG .670. That should open ya up pretty good. Maybe check out some of Carlsons more open turkey chokes, I think they have a .680-.690 in the flush mount chokes and a .680 in the extended.

Cutt

The Wingmaster choke that came with that gun is .672

nyhunter

Quote from: Cutt on April 13, 2013, 12:57:05 AM
The Wingmaster choke that came with that gun is .672
X2  that's where I'd start

FL-Boss

captin_hook

I have a 870 supermag. The HD choke that came with it is good enough for me. I'm getting in the 170s with a H-13 3inch 2 oz #6 shot shell.

FL-Boss

I like the idea of trying this cheap Undertaker with .675 http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=0005200655

Wonder if anyone has every tried it with HEVI shot..

Cutt

My question is, are you willing to give up long range to gain an open close range?

If your gun is putting out a killing pattern at 40 yards and you open it for closer shots, the effective range might drop to 30 yards? I think you'd have to give up some range to accomplish that, as I doubt you'll find anything to do both.

And if you are just looking for a closer range pattern, I personally wouldn't waste money on Hevi.

FL-Boss

My thoughts ... for actual hunting.... I want to see more in the 20in and LESS in the 10in at 40 yards.

270 hits in the 10in is what I get now.  How dead does dead have to be?  i want to see more outside the 10 - in the 20in to give me margin for error.    I would think 100 hits in the 10in is more than sufficient.

Most people shooting these guns don't understand when they shoot a bird at 20 yards... it going to be like a rifle bullet... better make sure you can hold it steady.

3" 870 Shell Shucker

I have an Indian Creek .665 and .675 for my 870.
.665 has Wad Catchers and is Ported.
.675 has niether wad catchers nor ports.

.665 shoots my tightest patterns at 40 Yards.  Higher 10" numbers.
With Lead 5's and 6's, the patterns are still big and even at 40 Yards.  Very Tight in close though.

.675 shoots patterns that are just tight enough to work out to 40 Yards with either HTL or Turkey Thugs Lead.  Big even patterns.  Patterns start to open up much sooner.

You normally have to give up something, in order to get something.

Kick's Gobblin' Thunder chokes are readily available in many different exit diameters,  and tend to not shoot as tight in my 870 as the Indian Creek chokes do.

3" 870 Shell Shucker

There are 2 ways of tightening or loosening the pattern.
Change Chokes, or Change Shells.

Both ways work great; once you identify which chokes, or which shells.

I can leave my Indian Creek .665 in my 870, and based upon patterns I have shot and compared from using different loads:

#1. I can load a Lead shell that will run out of pattern density by 40 Yards, but it will put a lot of pellets in a big user-friendly, even pattern by 35 Yards.  Fine if your setup doesn't allow for long shots.

#2. I can load a Lead shell that will do 40 Yards, no problem, with an even pattern.

#3. I can load a Lead shell that will do a little more than 40 Yards, no problem, with an even pattern.  A little cushion.

#4. I can load HTL and just go hunt and not worry much.  Devastating patterns, that will reach out to distances we can't talk about here.  Tight in close though.

FL-Boss

All I shoot is HEVI #7, 3.5in. With that being said... I do understand you can't have the best of both worlds... something has to sacrifice. Basically I would just like to move some of those 280 pellets that are in the 10in.... into to the 20in.. at 40 yards.

Doing this will open up the shorter range patterns as well.... even though not much

I would be happy with 125 or so in the 10in at 40 yards.. assuming the rest is concentrated in the 20-25 circle...

Back to test this week ---  have a new JH .665 - not expecting any big change over the .660 JH and Wrights .670 I already tested a few weeks ago. Also have a .675 undertaker coming ... cheap choke but I'm real curious to see how that one works with the REM and HEVI shot.

After that I may try a Kicks Thunder .670

FL-Boss

I understand what I'm trying to accomplish is unconventional and against the grain.  But like it mentioned in a previous thread...  how dead is dead?  For hunting... is it really smart to want 300 hits in a 10in circle @ 40 yards.  Or... would 100-150 kill the bird just as good... leaving "more margin for error" pellets in the outside 20+ rings?

Shooting paper and real world hunting are different things..  Trophy gobbler walks up.. his head is bouncing , your heart is pounding, you are shooting in awkward positions a lot of time... sure don't have a shooting rest like when you pattern test.   I want some insurance...  room for error.  I have missed before and it sucks.. never want it to happen again even though I'm sure it will.

3" 870 Shell Shucker

I pattern test from a seated position in a chair, and no rest.

Covering the bullseye at 40 Yards with a 20" pattern is as easy as pie.  A 10" pattern, not so much.

Just imagine what it's like at 20-30 Yards.