OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Loktite

Started by NothingLeFT, May 10, 2011, 05:04:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NothingLeFT

Im going to mount the FF2 on my aluminum alloy receiver and so far i have heard to use 3 different kinds of loktite,,,, does anyone know for sure what to use?
History will be kind to me for I intend to write it.

Skeeterbait

Red is for semi permanant use.  Requires heat for removal.

Blue is for temporary use where the parts may need to be removed and can be removed with just hand tools.  Generally used for screws 1/4" and up.  

Purple is easier to remove with hand tools than blue.  Designed for smaller screws #2 to #10.  It is especially good to prevent damaging aluminum threaded parts with steel screws.  This is what most gunsmiths recommend for the small screws associated with firearms.  It can be ordered from midwayusa.com

There is also Green which is more wickable and is designed to apply to thread seams after assembly without disassembling.

NothingLeFT

So im thinkin blue. Would anyone agree??

Skeeterbait

Many people use blue instead of going to the trouble of getting their hands on purple.  Purple would be best for small gun screws.  Just remember that with blue on small screws, if you ever have to remove them there is increased risk of stripping out or wringing off heads compared to purple.

Hognutz

I use blue exclusively.
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

NothingLeFT

Im thinking im going with blue just because of the ease of getting it. and thanks for the great input skeeterbait. and you too hognutz.

BurrisOptics

Yes you should be using blue or clear fingernail polish in a pinch

Reloader

Blue is what I use most.  It's not hard to remove IME.  Red is better if you intend to leave the sight on a while.  Red holds very well, can be removed at times without heat, but sometimes requires a soldering iron to heat the screw heads.

NothingLeFT

I really am not sure which to buy. I think im going to keep the FF2 on it for the rest of it life...

Reloader

Quote from: NothingLeFT on May 12, 2011, 07:46:29 PM
I really am not sure which to buy. I think im going to keep the FF2 on it for the rest of it life...

In that case, go red.

BurrisOptics

Just a heads up, we don't even allow anyone to bring red loctite into the building.  We had a few issues where it wouldn't break free even with heat.  Now we just don't allow it here so there isn't any confusion.  We've never had an issue since.

NothingLeFT

Im just going to pour concrete into it  :TooFunny:

Nahh ill just go with Blue.