OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Remember the locktite.......

Started by Reloader, May 10, 2011, 11:33:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reloader

I have mounted more optics than I care to remember and have used some form of thread locker for quite a while.  For some bone headed reason I mounted a FF without thread locker a few years back(would have sworn I used it) and the screws backed out after approx 15-20 shots. It ruined one of the holes from the loose screw under recoil, but nothing a larger tap wouldn't fix.  Thought it would be a good reminder for those of you mounting optics on severe recoiling turkey rigs.

Skeeterbait

Yup, and you really should use the purple formula.  Purple is recommended for tiny screws especially in aluminum threads.  Your not going to find it in Lowes, but it can be ordered from Midwayusa.com

Reloader

Quote from: Skeeterbait on May 10, 2011, 01:11:06 PM
Yup, and you really should use the purple formula.  Purple is recommended for tiny screws especially in aluminum threads.  Your not going to find it in Lowes, but it can be ordered from Midwayusa.com

Skeeter, the red aint too shabby either.  Lots of folks are scared of red, but it holds well and can be broken on torx head screws.  On any screw, you can always heat the heads with a soldering iron if it is stubborn after locktite is set.

pullit

Quote from: Reloader on May 12, 2011, 11:02:43 AM
Quote from: Skeeterbait on May 10, 2011, 01:11:06 PM

Skeeter, the red aint too shabby either.  Lots of folks are scared of red, but it holds well and can be broken on torx head screws.  On any screw, you can always heat the heads with a soldering iron if it is stubborn after locktite is set.
:z-winnersmiley: