OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Winny SX2 Burris FF2 base

Started by NothingLeFT, May 08, 2011, 10:30:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NothingLeFT

I purchased a Burris Fastfire 2 and I have not mounted it yet because I dont have a base. I need to buy a base that will go on the winchester super X 2. I want a low base and i dont want to go with the weaver style base. Does anyone by any chance know which base i could buy? Thanks all.
History will be kind to me for I intend to write it.

BurrisOptics

Most guys are having the receiver drilled and tapped for the Marlin mount.

NothingLeFT

Sounds good, but how can i tell if my receiver is alloy, im still in learning :/ i heard that the screws will loosen up if its aluminum alloy?? is this true?

Reloader

Quote from: NothingLeFT on May 09, 2011, 06:45:02 PM
Sounds good, but how can i tell if my receiver is alloy, im still in learning :/ i heard that the screws will loosen up if its aluminum alloy?? is this true?

Red Locktite goes a long way in alloy.

If for some reason you decide you want to remove the sight and the screws don't want to budge, put a soldering iron right in the center of the screw for a bit and it will come right out.  You can usually back them out even without heat.  I would much rather them be very tight and stay put than risk it with blue or none at all.  I tried a FF with none at all on my first and it backed the screws right off after several shots.

BurrisOptics

Quote from: Reloader on May 10, 2011, 11:27:38 AM
Quote from: NothingLeFT on May 09, 2011, 06:45:02 PM

Red Locktite goes a long way in alloy.

If for some reason you decide you want to remove the sight and the screws don't want to budge, put a soldering iron right in the center of the screw for a bit and it will come right out.  You can usually back them out even without heat.  I would much rather them be very tight and stay put than risk it with blue or none at all.  I tried a FF with none at all on my first and it backed the screws right off after several shots.

I think you meant to say "blue loctite" and not the red.  The red is considered permanent if I remember correctly. 

NL, that's the first I've heard of screws backing out of aluminum alloy receivers.  I'm not saying that it's incorrect only that I hadn't heard that. 

NothingLeFT

Thank you guys both, and by the way,,, reloader are you by any chance the same reloader that gave me feedback from the campfire?

Reloader

Quote from: NothingLeFT on May 10, 2011, 05:02:19 PM
Thank you guys both, and by the way,,, reloader are you by any chance the same reloader that gave me feedback from the campfire?

10-4

neal

A buddy of mine was told the same thing about the X2 that he would have issues with the screws and the alloy receiver
Hooks Custom Calls Prostaff member

NWTF Diamond life member, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation Life Member, NWTF Nationals Hunting Call Competition Judge, Hooks custom calls striker builder, WI, MN & IA State Friction Calling Champion.

NothingLeFT

Well I guess locktite goes a long way. it can fix that