turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Binocular Question

Started by Magnuss, May 05, 2011, 09:49:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magnuss

I'm looking for a good pair of binoculars for turkey hunting.  Does anyone have suggestions regarding brand, power, objective lens size etc.?  I'm looking at something in the 8x or 10x range under $500 if possible.  Any input would be great.
Si Quaeris Peninsulam Amoenam, Circumspice

WyoHunter

If you hunt out west where I live I would want 10x otherwise I'd buy 8x. You can't go wrong with Nikon Monarch ABT 8x42 or 10x42. These are full size binocs. I carry a pair of Nikon mini binocs in 8x25 for turkey hunting. All the above binocs can be had for less than $300.00. I own binocs by Nikon, Bushnell, Minolta, Minox and Leupold and can recommend any of these makers.  Take your time and look through them to see which one suits you best.
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

BurrisOptics

With binos, its almost impossible to make a suggestion.  That's an optic that really requires the end users personal judgement.  There are so many different variables to take into consideration.  Your best bet is to just go look at as many pairs as you can that are in your price range. 

I personally use a pair of Steiner 8x30 Military R, a 10x42 Predator Xtreme, a 10x26 Predator Xtreme, and my 8x42 Euro Diamonds.  Can I honestly say that any of these will work perfectly for you?  No, not really.  If you wear glasses or you need longer eye relief will make a big difference.  Do you want a roof prism or a porro?  When you say you want 8x or 10x do you mean a 8x22 or 10x26 compact roof prism, a 8x 42 or 10x50 roof, or a 8x50 porro?  Center focus? 

Honestly, you really just need to look at every pair you can find.  Find the one that works for you, not the one that works for someone else.  Remember, unlike rifle optics, your binos will go on every hunt for at least the next 10 years if you don't lose them. 

Let us know what you end up with.