turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Dot size?

Started by Tom Foolery, April 30, 2011, 09:28:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Foolery

I am really considering a red dot of some kind next season.  I really like the FFII and I guess with a protector they would be very durable.  It's mountainous where I hunt with laurel, cliffs, etc so my stuff gets beat around some.  Would I be ok with a FFII or should I try a conventional red dot like a Speed Dot, Bushnell Trophy, etc? 

I have a set of Williams Sluggers on my 835 now and while I really like them I have good scopes on all my rifles and I am more confortable with them I think.

Also, would a 3 MOA dot be better or a 6 MOA dot? 

Thanks

WyoHunter

You mention you're more comfortable with scopes so I would mount a scope on it. Keeping things simple and working with something that you're more familiar with can only help but be beneficial.
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

Skeeterbait

3moa inside a larger circle would be OK but a single 3moa dot is too small in my opinion on a shotgun.  this isnt a precision 100yard + rifle we are using.  3moa especially if tracking a moving target is just too hard to keep your eye on.  6-10 moa is better on a shotgun.

beagler

I have a 4 MOA dot on my Aimpoint and think it is a perfect size for a shotgun scope. Wondering if 6+ isn't too large?
Never Misses

Harcomo

I also have an Aimpoint 9000SC with a 4MOA dot.  It works fine for turkey hunting on my Remington 870.

Hognutz

May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

wisconsinteacher

I have good eyes so this may differ for others, but I like the smallest dot on my Mueller.  I am able to see other things that are covered by the bigger dots.

TauntoHawk

Love my fast fire and it's very durable with the guard on it. I have no concerns with the beating of a turkey season a accidental drop or letting others borrow my gun. Also think the size of the dot is perfect for turkey
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Tom Foolery

Thanks for the info guys.  I like a Red Dot because I can get it away from my face, being scope eyed ain't fun with a rifle, I could only imagine it with a 3.5" HV from the ol'835.

Scout24

A single 4-5MOA  dot is perfect for me. Tried fancy reticles and scopes but went right back to a simple, single, quick aiming point. Normally I wear bifocal contacts but they gave me a double, extended dot. Switching back to my long distance vision lens in my shooting eye cured that.

mwess1113

Quote from: Harcomo on May 01, 2011, 11:06:52 PM
I also have an Aimpoint 9000SC with a 4MOA dot.  It works fine for turkey hunting on my Remington 870.

Make that x4.  Love mine...

nstrut

i have the truglo gobbler stopper red dot on mine it's a 3 dot inside a a larger circle ''love it..look on page 27 in the march april turkey country mag