OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Red-Dot or Scope???

Started by jonhaga, April 27, 2011, 10:23:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jonhaga

Hey guys I was fairly set on after turkey season buying me a Red Dot and playing with it over the summer. But now I'm interested in a scope such as Nikon Turkey Pro or Leupold Turkey scope. What are the Pros and Cons and are there other scopes to consider.

bowhunter84

i've never had either on a shotgun but i'm leaning toward a scope. i dont like the idea of a battery going dead during a hunt.

ky doublelung

I added a bushnell sportsman red dot to my turkey gun and wow I love it! You can really fine tune your poi and it take the worry out of shooting over a bird! Also I mounted it on a set of shoot thru rings and allows me to also use my fiber optic sights if needed!

BurrisOptics

In short the pros and cons are:

scope

pros:  no power necessary, extremely precise, can usually maintain a good cheekweld, weatherproof, simple

cons:  heavy, bulky, eye relief can be a real headache, cheaper scopes may be more susceptible to damage from recoil, relatively higher cost

holographic or reflex red dot

pros:  small, compact, lightweight, most handle recoil really well, relatively inexpensive, multiple rets, large FOV, unlimited eye relief

cons:  battery powered, most will have very little or absolutely no cheekweld, fragile if dropped, some have a very short battery life, susceptible to weather conditions

There are exceptions to almost everything I listed but on average I think most of this holds true. 

TauntoHawk

burris hit the nail

optics are one thing I believe that you almost always get what you pay for, cheap scopes and cheap reddots are going to give more headaches than advantages but if your will to buy wisely it can be the best piece of turkey gear you own.

nikon turkey pro, leupold are both great scopes and have the quality and performance that you'll love.

fast fire, eotech, muller are great red dots.

the decision between the two is a tough one and you have to look at burris' pro con list and weight which are more important.. both are head and shoulders above a plain bead in my eyes
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

WyoHunter

I prefer a scope for my turkey hunting because IMO they are more precise, tougher, get a more solid cheek weld, no batteries needed and since a great majority of rifle hunters use a scope they are more familiar and comfortable with using a scope. But the ultimate choice must be made by the one using it!
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!