OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Snow and reflected site, not good

Started by sugarray, April 22, 2011, 07:55:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sugarray

Hunted in the snow this past week in SD.  When water or snow gets down in where the reticle is reflected, you cannot see your reticle.  Really had a couple of hard minutes getting my reticle up.  I am using the Mueller, but would be true for any similar type sight.

new2turkey

That stinks Ray... I've been eyeing that Mueller...

How'd the hunt go?

mossy835

Ray I noticed on mine I can still see my front bead through the Mueller sight. My thought is with the scope being centered on a turkey head it is going to give the same POI/POA with or without the reticule being visible. Also if the front bead is visible and using both eyes I am curious as to the accuracy in my shooting using the bead if there is no reticule visible for any reason? Worth testing for me anyway.

BurrisOptics

Ray,

How did you manage to get the snow/water on the sight or what can I do to replicate it?  I'm want to do some testing. 

sugarray

We were hunting in the snow and it was falling off trees and snowing.  There would get to be either snow in there or an ice crystal in there that would block the mirror/reticle (don't know the terminology for the light) and will not shine on the glass.  I had to either knock it out by shaking or using my knife to flick it out.  Once out it was fine. 

Keeping the glass clear of water was a different story, but that has nothing to do with this problem.