OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Gun Mounted Cameras

Started by Timberline, April 16, 2011, 06:11:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timberline

We had a discussion on OG previously about gun mounted cameras.  I think it is gone now.  We were discussing the TacCam, Bushnell Videoscope , and the GoPro sports camera.  I had a Videoscope and I picked up the TacCam from Advanced Tactical Cameras (ATC) to test out this year.  I got mixed results with the TacCam.  I filmed my turkey hunt this year so you can take a look.  The toms in this video are running at a jake decoy that is placed off screen to the right.  The tom was shot at 33 yards.

The bad:
•   The TacCam is 1x.  No zoom lens.  While you can see what happens at the hunt, it is difficult to see the beards on the toms and some of details.  The Videoscope is 5x and even at 40 yards, I could still see the beards on the turkeys.
•   The TacCam has 640X480 VGA resolution at 30 frames per second.  Don't expect the videos you see on TV.  I was having problems taking video from a dark blind out into the bright sunlight.  There is no way to adjust the settings on the camera.  That was also a problem with the Videoscope.
•   The TacCam makes a beep when you turn it on similar to a digital watch.  I think you could get away with it in most situations, but I don't like it and I could not find a way to turn it off.  The Videoscope does not do that.
•   There is no screen to show you what it being filmed on the TacCam.  You need to take the memory card out to see what happened.  The Bushnell camera has a viewing screen built into the camera.
•   The TacCam does not provide the parts to mount the camera over a scope (the Videoscope does).   They should be doing this if they want to sell cameras.  ATC just told me it can be done and they did not provide any other information.  The camera is set up for a rail mount.  So you need to buy a rail.  I picked up a TPS Cora I 1" picatinny-style accessory ring mount that mounts around the scope tube and provides the rail.  But the top of the scope was in the picture.  So I also had to get a Yankee Hill Machine mini riser mount (3/4"), and that gave me the view I wanted.  I got those at Midway.  In my opinion, ATC should have all of that provided.

The good:
•   The TacCam is durable.  It is water proof up to 3 meters and the mounts are solid.
•   It uses disposable batteries and you can use the Energizer Lithium batteries for freezing temps.  The Videoscope stops working at around 40 degrees and the rechargeable battery is built in, so you cannot switch out batteries.
•   I liked the wide shot when I filmed the recovery.  It looks the way I remember it.  That would be difficult to do with a 5x camera like the Videoscope.
•   The barrel is in the picture and I like that because it gives the viewer a frame of reference.  With a camera like the Videoscope, there are no crosshairs or bead or anything to let the viewer know what is being targeted.
•   The TacCam uses a memory card that can be removed.  The Videoscope needs to be plugged into the computer to view the footage and that is a pain.
•   I like the sound quality of the TacCam compared to the Videoscope.  The shot on a Videoscope sounds hollow like someone bowled a strike.  The TacCam has a sharper, metallic sound.

I see there is another 4x camera out this year from Wildgame Innovations™.  The  AC5x Vantage HD Infrared Action Cam.  It looks like it has a zoom lens.  Has anyone tried this camera yet?

redarrow

Thanks for the update and critique. Nice bird,but I don't care much for the cam.

Timberline

Thanks.  Yes, the TacCam needs some improvements.

I am now looking at the AC5x Vantage HD Infrared Action Cam.  I also see Moultrie® has a Game Spy® Re-Action Compact Camera with an 8x zoom.  I am hoping someone else has tried those.

bowhunter84

Quote from: redarrow on April 16, 2011, 07:22:10 PM
Thanks for the update and critique. Nice bird,but I don't care much for the cam.
:agreed: