turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Whats best, FF2 or SpeedBead

Started by chipper, April 14, 2011, 08:23:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chipper

I'm fixing to buy one but don't know which one I'll have to have my gun tapped but I also don't want to lose my cheek weld on the stock, Will I lose my cheek weld with the FF2 and marlin Mount? Is the mounting bracket tough on the SpeedBead?

dh515

I think it will depend on the gun you are putting it on.  I have a Speedbead that worked fine on a Benelli Ultralight.  I didn't like it on that gun for wingshooting and took it off, intending to put it on an early model Black Eagle to be used for turkey.  Even with a different Speedbead mount appropriate for the gun from Burris, the angle of the unit on the Black Eagle receiver wasn't right and wouldn't allow the Speedbead to sit level.  I've got the picatinny base for a Fastfire (Speedbead and Fastfire are the same basic unit, just different mounts) that I will use and a Marlin 336 mount coming.  I'll have to drill and tap the receiver on the Black Eagle to make it work.  You'll likely not have this same problem if the gun you are mounting the Speedbead on is one that they make a specific mount for but just throwing it out there.

chipper

I'm putting it on a Winchester SX3.

dh515

I see Burris makes a mount for the Winchester.  The Speedbead would mount low enough that your cheek would stay on the stock.  Not sure about the FF.  There are some pics here:

http://images1.opticsplanet.com/pdf/opplanet-burris-speedbead-winchester-installation-instructions.pdf

X-Tennessean

Chipper I am in the same boat as you with the Sx3 !! I also want one and can't decide which I wanna go with.....I would like to see or hold "a gun" with the speed bead mounted but have yet seen anyone or a store that has a demo :(
May I ask that if you go with one please post some pic's and your opinion's ?
Thanks 

BurrisOptics

There's a lot of personal preference that goes into this decision.  To me, you sound like a perfect candidate for a SpeedBead.  You won't have to drill and tap your receiver and you won't lose your cheek weld.  You will need to make a small stock modification most likely.  The mod description can be found on this thread.

http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,5291.0.html

chipper

I'm just worried about the durability of the speedbead mounting system and how ridged it is vs. The other mount systems of the FF2.

mightyjoeyoung

The Speed Bead is awesome!!  Tiny, durable, quick target accusition.  I love mine!  (Free plug).  Here it is next to my 835 with a bushnell trophy red dot.  As you can see...it's VERY small and I have no issues shooting the nasty stuff out of it and don't have to worry about hitting my thumb or my face on it.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

X-Tennessean

Quote from: mightyjoeyoung on April 16, 2011, 10:50:07 AM
The Speed Bead is awesome!!  Tiny, durable, quick target accusition.  I love mine!  (Free plug).  Here it is next to my 835 with a bushnell trophy red dot.  As you can see...it's VERY small and I have no issues shooting the nasty stuff out of it and don't have to worry about hitting my thumb or my face on it.

Thanks for posting this !! This is the reply I was looking for, I was concerned with how close the speed bead would be to the face shooting the heavy loads. Thanks again

neal

I have a SBEII with the speadbead mounted on it I shoot Hevi's 3 1/2" shells love it would not have anything else. The speedbead and the Fastfire are the same sight different mounting. As far as the SX3 my buddy was going to mount a Fastfire after shooting my gun and he was told by a Cabelas gunsmith that the receiver on the SX3 was not steel and wouldn't recomend tapping it because the screws would eventally work loose.... I'm no gunsmith so I would ask around before doing so.
Hooks Custom Calls Prostaff member

NWTF Diamond life member, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation Life Member, NWTF Nationals Hunting Call Competition Judge, Hooks custom calls striker builder, WI, MN & IA State Friction Calling Champion.

X-Tennessean

Neal I had also heard the same about the SX3's not being good candidates for drill and tapping. I have made my mind up to go with a speed bead !!
Thanks for your reply and comments :)