OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

mueller sighting??

Started by whitemarlin, April 11, 2011, 11:20:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

whitemarlin

When sighting in my poi was high and right of poa, to get the poa and poi the same, i moved the sight the left and down, but then reading hear today i see some say you should do the opposite. which way should it be moved to get a high and right shot, to the same poa and poi with the quick shot. any help, on a side note it is shooting where i want it now.

sugarray

First shoot.  Then find center of POI.  Move POA to POI and when you then put your dot on the POA, it will move the POI to the POA.

So, if you were high and right, you move your dot up and right from the POA to the POI, this then moves your impact down and to the left.

whitemarlin

sugarray, i tried moving the poa to the poi but it move it off that much more, the only way i could get the poa and poi  better was to do the opposite, here's a pic of the last shot i fired not to bad but i would like to move it down alittle more. any idea's never seen this before.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Skeeterbait

Don't overcomplicate things.  If you see that the point of impact needs to move up, adjust the sight UP.  If it needs to move down, move the sight in the opposite direction from UP.  Same thing left and right.  Remember that the sight is 1moa so it will take about 4 clicks at 25 yards to equal 1 inch of movement.

BurrisOptics

Maybe this helps and maybe it doesn't but I think the issue you are having is that you are following what the scope adjustments say and have it backwards in your head.  This is a very common mistake especially with red dot sights.

Just remember that if your scope adjustment says "left", "right", "up", or "down" it is telling you which way your point of impact will move and NOT which way your dot will move.  The red dot (in theory) will never move (even though it does on some models).  Your FOV or target is what you are moving when you adjust the turrets. 

whitemarlin

skeeterbait, not trying to complicate it, it was pretty self explanatory when i moved the sight and my poi went way the wrong way.
Burrisoptics, the label on the sight is what had me messed up, for some reason i was thinking that if i moved it up it would go down.

BurrisOptics

Quote from: whitemarlin on April 11, 2011, 01:41:05 PM
Burrisoptics, the label on the sight is what had me messed up, for some reason i was thinking that if i moved it up it would go down.

Ok good.  Like I said, it's one of the most common mistakes people make when attempting to zero.  Good luck on your hunts this year.   :icon_thumright:

Jayhawkeye

Quote from: BurrisOptics on April 11, 2011, 01:17:30 PM
Maybe this helps and maybe it doesn't but I think the issue you are having is that you are following what the scope adjustments say and have it backwards in your head.  This is a very common mistake especially with red dot sights.

Just remember that if your scope adjustment says "left", "right", "up", or "down" it is telling you which way your point of impact will move and NOT which way your dot will move.  The red dot (in theory) will never move (even though it does on some models).  Your FOV or target is what you are moving when you adjust the turrets. 

i still need to sight-in my FFII.  So, if my POI is 6" high and 6" to right of POA then I would adjust my FFII's "up" to 6" and "right" to 6"?  correct?
Rock Chalk Jayhawks!!!  Gobble, Gobble, Gobble...  Go KU!!!

BurrisOptics

No.  You have it backwards.  You are moving your pattern and not the dot so if you need to move your pattern 6" down and 6" left then turn the elevation adjustment in the direction of the "down" arrow and then in the direction of the "left" arrow. 

Belo83

i can confirm that after shooting 3 boxes of hevi it is indeed opposite  :bartsimpson:

the directions on the mueller actually mention to adjust the scope in the direction of the poi which is misleading and they could have easily mentioned this in the directions. I've sighted in many scopes and it's always been opposite, but this was my first red dot; so i didn't know.

live and learn. expensive mistake  :groupwave: