OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Fiber optic rear with factory bead?

Started by Snoody Bastid, April 08, 2011, 09:13:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snoody Bastid

Have an odd question for you guys. Does anybody use their factory bead with an aftermarket (fiber optic) rear sight on their guns. Too much brightness bothers me. I just picked up a NOS Rem 11-87 SPS-T, 21"bbl, 3" and it has a large white bead w/mid bead.

TrophyTracker

I ran that setup on a gun that was shooting a bit too low for my liking. It raised the POI to exactly where I wanted it by being higher in the back and causing me to raise the muzzle to meet it.
New to you, not the game
Drink a Monster, Live Forever!
Beatdown City Fl

Skeeterbait

White beads are very visable.  Should work fine as long as the POI will match POA.

Reloader

It will most likely make the gun shoot too high.  If it hits low with the factory bead, you'd be set with a low pro rear sight.  I've seen guys do this very thing when the factory bead was shooting low.

I would shoot the gun with the bead to see where the impact is with a turkey load at 40yds.  If it is dead center, but low, you could buy the cheap truglo sight that clips on the rib, but doesn't adjust. Just clip the rear on and go with it.

I doubt you'll be lucky enough to just go with a rear sight, but you never know until you pattern it with a certain choke and ammo.

Might want to pattern with several combos to see what you intend to hunt with.

Snoody Bastid

Guys-thanks for all the insight (pun intended). I'll be going next week to pattern it using the factory bead/mid-bead and go with the best POA/POI pattern for now(with a P.G. & J.H. .660 plus various loads) I have a new Leupold 1.5-4x20 but have to get my gun drilled & tapped. My season opens May 1st, so I'll be using the beads until it closes.

WyoHunter

When you get that new scope mounted I think you'll have solved your problem.
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

mightyjoeyoung

If you have issues with the sights "haloing" by bringing in too much light but want to have a real aiming device, I would recommend mounting a set of sights like the Williams brnd and then put a little drop of paint of nail polish on the end of the fiber optic that faces away from you.  It will lower the amount of light comming through the fiber but still keep it quite visible.
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

Snoody Bastid