turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Red dot vs. Scope

Started by Luke95, April 06, 2011, 03:39:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Luke95

:TrainWreck1: but I am looking for a new optic and was looking at the bushel trophy red dot and banner scopes plz help me decide.
Sumtoy Get Choked

goblr77

I prefer the Simmons Pro Diamond in a fixed 4x. I had a Bushnell and didn't like it as well.

sugarray

It really depends on which type of sight you want and need. 

Do you need magnification?
Do you want a tube style sight?

Sights like the Mueller Quick Shot and Burris FF II offer much larger FOV and easier target acquisition.  We can help you better with just a little more information.

Luke95

:turkey2: I want some thing to shootnslugs and turkey ammo with that is reliable and slightly cheaper and won't get killed and won't kil the bank where are the Simmons made? I thought that thenbushnells were Japanese?
Sumtoy Get Choked

chatterbox

Well, if it were me and I was shooting both slugs and turkey shot out of the same gun, I would go with a bushnell banner 1.5-4X32.
It's a well built scope, and can handle the pounding of both slugs and magnum turkey shells.
For accuracy out to 100 yards for the slugs, you will need a scope.

va longbeard

I vote red dot.

I like the larger field of view for turkey hunting and the ability to shoot with both eyes open.

Never have wished for magnification to the 60 yard mark which is my personnel limit for shots at gobblers.

cannonball

Quote from: chatterbox on April 06, 2011, 05:07:51 PM
Well, if it were me and I was shooting both slugs and turkey shot out of the same gun, I would go with a bushnell banner 1.5-4X32.
It's a well built scope, and can handle the pounding of both slugs and magnum turkey shells.
For accuracy out to 100 yards for the slugs, you will need a scope.

:agreed:

Luke95

As a teenager my eye sight is very good and the shots in my neck of the woods are at max 75 yards I will lean to the other scope because I wont loose any batteries :TooFunny:  :lol: also it is more durable I think
:boon: Luke
Sumtoy Get Choked

knotheadedfool

having shot a few different scopes, a couple different tubes, and one reflex sight, my first choice would be scope ONLY if it was the bushnell with 6" of ER......ER is essential on a turkey gun unless you want scope eye.  Good eye relief, crisp and clear, circle x, no batteries, no forgetting to turn on or off, can handle the recoil.  The only bad thing is mounting it within the eye relief of the scope it interferes with the top tang safety of a mossberg.  Thats the only reason I'm shooting a tube dot on my mossberg, otherwise it would be the bushnell.  Having said that, I'm liking the bushnell tropy red dot with multiple reticle.  I wouldn't put another reflex sight on a turkey gun to save my life.  I don't like that if you have the sun in your face you get the reflection back on you and can't really see through the sight.  Even though thats not supposed to matter, I don't care for shooting that way.

Luke95

:TrainWreck1: how bad is it to operate the saftey buttom on a mossberg? the reason I ask is because it is my only gun capable of taking a scope my A5 would have the scope sitting way to high for me to shoot :(
Sumtoy Get Choked

knotheadedfool

to get the eye relief right with your head in a normal position the back eye tube sits over the top tang safety....you can still work it, but its about half as easy as normal if that.  To me, the top tang safety is a feature that I have to have so it makes a huge difference to me

Luke95

i know where you are coming from there my custom gun that I wanna build is a mossberg 835 custom camo and nice stocks with a red dot. but because i need double duty out of one scope I cant do that.
Sumtoy Get Choked

hookedspur

Leupold 2x7 ,will give you plenty of eye relief and mag. for slugs and enough field of view on 2 power.
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

TauntoHawk

I really wanted a scope but once I got on this sight the reflex reddot interested me, hit the range yesterday with my burris FF II and it performed phenomenal
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

goblr77

Quote from: Luke95 on April 06, 2011, 09:57:27 PM
:TrainWreck1: how bad is it to operate the saftey buttom on a mossberg? the reason I ask is because it is my only gun capable of taking a scope my A5 would have the scope sitting way to high for me to shoot :(

Not bad.

[attachment deleted by admin]