Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Mossberg 935 advice on sight/optics and what to have the local gunsmith do

Started by nilaszewski, April 05, 2011, 10:04:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nilaszewski

Okay, I'm building a turkey gun and have done a lot of reading but looking for a suggestion and can't seem to find anyone else who has done this.

I have a 935 and a pistol grip stock on order. I'm trying to build a Turkey slayer and I picked this bad boy up for $250 in perfect condition, hardly looks used.

Anyway, the receiver is not drilled for a scope and I don't really want to use a saddle mount so I dropped if off at the local gun smith tonight. As it sits right now he is going to drill and tap the receiver and put a weaver style rail on for me.

It got me thinking...if this is a dedicated gun...why drill all those holes and mount a rail? I figure, less holes is better right? Maybe he can drill and permanently mount the scope/sight?

Has anyone ever had a reflex/holographic sight mounted right to the receiver? I would like either a red dot or holo sight, don't really see the difference other than 1 eye open or 2 eye open but just wanted to see what you all thought?

My 935 has one sight on the end of a 24" barrel...fiber optic.

I see people like the FF2's but I don't want to spend that much. The Mueller's are like $100 which is more in the range of what i want to spend. This gun is going to get 2 weeks max of use per year....ideas? Thoughts?

cannonball

My opinion...Have it drilled and tapped for a base. I would use a picitinny rail, you have more adjustment that way. Buy the Mueller, I have one and really like it. Good luck!

Snoody Bastid

Having it drilled and tapped just makes more sense and gives you many more options. Scope, reflex, & red rot sights. You can remove it altogether and use the bead/aftermarket sights if you decide to go that route again.

Skeeterbait

Everything has to have a base.  You can't machine a weaver or picatinny dovetail directly into the receiver.  There is the Marlin base for the fast fire that looks cleaner and gives the appearance that the fast fire is mounted directly to the receiver but in reality it is a base also.  You already said you dont want to pay for the fast fire though.  I agree above you should go with a Picatinny over a Weaver slot pattern.  More standardized and offers better adjustability.  Have the gun drilled with standard Mossberg screw spacing and put the standard length Picatinny rail on it and you will have a base that ANY sight you later choose can be mounted to.  Have it done once and have it done right.

BurrisOptics

Can it be done? Yes it can.  I just don't know if you can do it with mid-sized red-dot like you are thinking of getting.  If you end up going with the FF you can drill and tap 2 holes, use the rigid gasket, and then screw the sight directly onto the receiver.  It should be waterproof that way. 

One thing I should mention is that I don't really see the benefit of doing it this way.  It would make more sense to use the Marlin mount.  Then again if you aren't using the FF then everything I just mentioned won't matter any way. 

mossy835

Use the Picatinny rail so you can make changes down the road, who knows what will pop up next year but I would bet it will fit the rail not proprietary holes. Just my two cents worth.

nilaszewski

thanks for all the advice....i will let the gunsmith know...I'm not sure what rail he planned on using. I like the FFII but just can't bring myself to spend $200 on a gun used 10 days a year. I'd rather upgrade the barrel in my G17 or save the extra cash for a new upland gun of some sort.

Am I making a mistake on the Mueller? Scheels has a Sight Mark....$120 for a smaller looking, decent reflex type sight.

Thoughts?

nilaszewski

so i found a smaller family owned hunting/fishing shop about 20 miles away that was supposed to be a Mueller dealer and was in the area so i stopped in....there was the Quick Shot, they had 4 of them all in black. Best part of all, their price was $85.95....That beats online retailers by $10! Sweet deal and for the money I just couldn't justify the FF2.

At any rate...My Pistol grip stock and SSX choke should be here tomorrow...waiting for the rail to get mounted up and then I'll be ready to go!

cannonball

Smart longbeard

Quote from: Skeeterbait on April 06, 2011, 08:25:53 AM
Everything has to have a base.  You can't machine a weaver or picatinny dovetail directly into the receiver.  There is the Marlin base for the fast fire that looks cleaner and gives the appearance that the fast fire is mounted directly to the receiver but in reality it is a base also.  You already said you dont want to pay for the fast fire though.  I agree above you should go with a Picatinny over a Weaver slot pattern.  More standardized and offers better adjustability.  Have the gun drilled with standard Mossberg screw spacing and put the standard length Picatinny rail on it and you will have a base that ANY sight you later choose can be mounted to.  Have it done once and have it done right.
:agreed:

afoshie

put the mueller on it and dont look back. put one on my 835 this year and i love it red dot on head and bird hits the ground. you will wish you had done it along time ago.