turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Whos' joined the head knocker club?

Started by Beretta686, April 03, 2011, 09:16:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beretta686

That would be those of us that have been knocked in the head with a scope on your turkey gun. I like to say Ms. Wicked bit me.

First time was in TX and I forgot to slide the collapsible stock out from the flight to TX. That knocked me silly, I did kill a bird, but the world was spinning and my brain would not function to operate the pump.My eyes were also covered in blood. It was 2 hours to the hospital. Good thing I was hunting with a Dr. and 2 surgeons. Not, leave it to the Eagle Scout/Assistant Scoutmaster to have a stocked first aid kit with some durabond.

Second time, same gun pattering it and just operator error and she bit me again. Went to Dr./Friend/Turkey hunters house last night to get put back together.

Pictures will follow
Official "Hippie" had my hip replaced August 2005

cannonball

Ouch. I have been hit by a scope on a high powered rifle, but not anything that bad.

TauntoHawk

thats about 90% why I changed my mind after being sure I wanted a scope for my turkey gun.. going with the FF II

If my wife borrowed my gun and did that she'd not be a happy camper or have a found memory of the turkey woods..
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

redarrow

I've been hit but never cut. OUCH !!!

Odessa

After two repair trips I think I would find a different sight!
"I admire a good turkey hunter chiefly because such a man displays qualities that we usually associate with pioneer America-patience, enthusiasm, woodcraft, game sense, and a quiet hardihood undaunted by rain, by cold, by long tough miles, by disappointment."
Archibald Rutledge

chatterbox

Been bit 3 times. All with shotguns. First was slug gun, second 2 were turkey guns with scopes.
Gone to reflex sights. Got tired of the headache.

snapper1982

i have never been bit but it could happen with the next shot

Beretta686

Hard headed you might say. I tried the reflex site and did not like it, both the expensive truglo, and the c-more.

The pic posted was 100% my fault. I shoot a collapsible m-4 style stock. I had to slide it all the way in to fit in my shotgun case. Canceled flights, got in at 2am up @ 4 to hunt. Put the gun together and forgot to slide out the stock.

The other night I was shooting off a friends shooting sticks and they were flimsy pole cats. To get stable I pulled in tight like shooting a rifle. Operator error again.

So far this season, I have torn all 3 ligaments in my ankle and had to have my head glued back together. Too many scratched and stickers to count. Oh yeah one almost cardiac arrest when I almost stepped on a copper head the other afternoon.

Official "Hippie" had my hip replaced August 2005

knotheadedfool

what scope is it?  I had a leupold turkey that got me and immediately sold it for a bushnell with the full 6 inches of eye relief.  I won't shoot another scope on a shotgun without at least 6" ER

goblr77

I've been hit by a Bushnell scope atop a 535 shooting Win XR 3.5" loads. I got rid of that rig and went back to an 835. It patterns better anyway.

WyoHunter

Quote from: snapper1982 on April 05, 2011, 06:47:39 PM
i have never been bit but it could happen with the next shot
Me neither. Usually when you're shooting from an awkward position or you don't have the butt solidly in your shoulder. 
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

ncturkey

I got a small cut from some scope covers on my turkey gun at the range one time. It was'nt bad at all. I did not hunt with that scope for year after that. But I switched to a Penetax Scope with good eye releif. I have taken 6 gobbler with it so far and love it. One thing I had to learn was take the scope covers off. Plus i got one funny thing to tell ya'll. I was a NWTF shoot one time back 2007 I think. Some guy was telling me I need a scope cushion cover for my scope. The next time he shot his muzzleloader shotgun with a scope you can guess what wanted to him. Yep he had a good scope eye with blood running all down his shirt. I LMAO too. BUt man that looks really bad. Hope you do not do it again. See ya, Mike

WyoHunter

If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!