OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

For those that have a astigmatism

Started by Beretta686, April 01, 2011, 01:10:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beretta686

You may want to look at a fixed red dot sight or a scope. The halo sites like the Truglo true-point open red dot sight http://www.truglosights.com/IW_Products.m4p.pvx?;MULTI_ITEM_SUBMIT

will not show you a perfect crisp red dot. You will see a small squiggly line, a star burst, or any other crazy looking red thing.

I bought one when they first came out and it drove me crazy. I took the sight to the NWTF convention a couple of years ago just to talk to the truglo folks. First thing he said was you wear glasses, I bet you have a astigmatism. He was correct. My wife can look through the same sight and see a perfect dot. What drives me crazy is it gives me a different sight picture each time I look at it. LOL

I asked the eye doc to explain it to me the other day. He did by saying my eye/cornea is not round and some other stuff, and then said the with a astigmatism I can not see any type of sight like that clearly. I took the sight with me to show him.
Official "Hippie" had my hip replaced August 2005

Skeeterbait

I am not sure what you mean by a "fixed red dot sight".  But regardless, do you shoot with your glasses on?  If so ask your eye doctor why your glasses are not correcting your astigmatism.  They grind the astigmatism correction on the glasses lens.

whiskey

I had not noticed before, but this morning I was sitting in the blind and noticed that my dot was a crazy shape too. This was with my left eye. I switched and look with my right eye and it was a round dot. I wear glasses, and have an astigmatism, but not sure how bad.

Honestly it doesn't bother me much. The Burris has a small dot so a little fuzzy around it doesn't seem like a big deal to me.

TauntoHawk

I just got a fast fire II today and I have a blurry line coming off the reddot its hardly noticable when looking at close objects but outside its bad.. this is going to drive me insane, I finally get the sight I want after saving the money and now it doesnt work well with my stinking eyes
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

TauntoHawk

ps. I set up an eye appointment to see if i can get contacts to correct this problem. Ill post back after ive found out
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

whiskey

OK, this is weird. Two days ago, I looked at the dot, while sitting in the blind and wearing glasses, and it was fuzzy. Well, today I set up and flicked the switch on and take a peek and it is not fuzzy any more. Same glasses, same sight, different days.

Maybe it's the angle I am looking through the sight, or maybe the distance my glasses are from my eye. I don't know. Tomorrow I will do some more experimenting.

TauntoHawk

Yeah it's weird, in the store I didn't notice it which makes me think it wasn't there then. When I got home and looked at longer distances with it I def noticed it. It doesn't affect seeing the dot it just becomes distracting... I tried with my glasses and it was completely gone so like I sai I made an eye appointment to see if I can get contacts to better help with it.

Belo83

i have a very minor stigmatisim in my right eye (shooting eye), and i pretty much always wear contacts, especially when hunting.

While taking my pistol permit safety class (required in ny) they taught us a trick where you make a triangle with both pointer fingers and thumbs, focus on a small distant object while looking through the triangle with your arms extended. Then slowly bring your arms in while staying focused. You will naturally bring the triangle to your dominant eye. To my surprise, it was not my right, but my left eye. I have been aiming down sights and scopes wrong my whole life  :smiley-char092: :fud:

so naturally this has me curious. I'm only 27, but to change, how I aim and hold a rifle is a revolution for me, but may be something worth pursuing when i also factor in the stigmatisim in my right eye. This really became an issue with a miss on a big 8 point buck last fall (my first ever miss, i had been a sniper for 10 seasons prior).

My optometrist (who is also my father in law) says there are contacts for people with stigmitizims, but that they correct to +/-1 and greater and mine is only -0.5 and using one would over correct and cause the same effect.

At the very least, I will consider wearing glasses while hunting.

thought i'd share...

WildSpur

Just experienced this myself.  I was getting 2 dots with my FF2.  I could tell which one was the real dot.  I was getting frustrated and thought I had a defect.  I read this post and hunted yesterday with my glasses on---problem fixed!  Thanks guys!

Cluck more, yelp less

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: poorcountrypreacher on April 05, 2011, 10:59:56 AM
I had this problem when using bifocals. I switched to a progressive lens and it went away immediately. The progressive lens will have somewhere on them that you can look thru and the dot will be clear. For me, it is most of the lens and I naturally look thru the good part when I raise the gun.

I have astigmatism too, in addition to presbyopia. Baretta, are you using a bifocal with a line in it? If so, you just need another pair of glasses.

I have progressive lenses and I think I have the same sight you mentioned.  I see the reticles perfectly. 

bushwhacker

I have astygmatism and have been wearing contacts since i was eleven years old, 25 now, and i have no problem with any kind of sight or scope. Although have never hunted with a red dot, I have looked through them and everything looks fine. But I also never looked through one before I Had the eye problem. I have 20/10 corected vision, so that might be one reason everything looks so clear. I have tru glo rifle sights on my shotgun and a montana black gold sight on my bow and they both are so bright that they tend to look bigger than they actually are. but still no problems. Astygmatism allows your eye to gather more light than it actually needs and it blurs your sight picture. If you shoot a red dot, turn the rheostat on a lower light level and see if that helps.

Reloader

All of the reflex type sights I've looked through have had a fuzzy dot, some worse than others.  I have 3 FFs and the dots appear alittle different in each.  No big deal, you can still put the fuzzy dot on the toms noggin :D

I've noticed it is much worse when the dot is brighter on up in the day.  They actually look like a round dot in low light.