OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

maybe dumb question (red dot sight mounting position)

Started by reynolds243, March 23, 2011, 01:41:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

reynolds243

for those that use red dot sights (tubeless especially as that is what i ordered). how far down the action do you put it...pretty close to the barrel or closer to your face?

i have never owned or shot a red dot site so i really have no clue. I ordered a mueller quick shot to try and fix my POA issues so it will be my first.

Problem i have is i have to drill and tap my gun so i really am not 100% sure where to tell the guy to put the weaver base. I dont have the sight yet so i cant put it on there and see AND i have to get the gun to the guy today so he can tap it for me.

???? i guess just put the base in the middle and go from there??

Skeeterbait

The best way to shoot these sights is with both eyes open.  The frame around the lens blurs out and mostly you just see your down range field of view and the red dot floating.  The closer the sight is to your eye the better the frame will blur out.  Even if you shoot it with the off eye closed though, the closer it is to your eye the more field of view you will have through the lens.

reynolds243

thanks skeeter, i always shoot with both eyes open (just habit i guess) so that helps.

Mossy517

Mine is mounted to a 835 that was already drilled and tapped, but one thing that did help was I got a weave Multi-slot base. Thats makes it a lot easier to move the sight front and back to suit your needs.
HuntingPA... Lacaster, York, Perry and Centre counties

reynolds243

i dont know much about bases and what not, all my rifles had rails or mounts already on them. I got a weaver 93 base as that is what is said to go on my stoeger m2000

overall i fell like a total idiot that i dont have a clue about this particular area, just never needed to know i guess. I have shot shotguns with straight beads for 20 years so never really felt the need to know anything other then a barrel sight.

i tried some adjustable sights but really didnt like the look and feel of them on there for how far over to the right i had to put the sights. I really hope i like the mueller quick shot because i am out of time and options really. I am still going to put my factory choke in and see if the IC choke is causing the POI issues and if so i will call IC and see what i can do.

Smart longbeard

Quote from: reynolds243 on March 23, 2011, 04:30:37 PM
i dont know much about bases and what not, all my rifles had rails or mounts already on them. I got a weaver 93 base as that is what is said to go on my stoeger m2000

overall i fell like a total idiot that i dont have a clue about this particular area, just never needed to know i guess. I have shot shotguns with straight beads for 20 years so never really felt the need to know anything other then a barrel sight.

i tried some adjustable sights but really didnt like the look and feel of them on there for how far over to the right i had to put the sights. I really hope i like the mueller quick shot because i am out of time and options really. I am still going to put my factory choke in and see if the IC choke is causing the POI issues and if so i will call IC and see what i can do.

I think it's a valid question and with the cost of shells it's not a bad idea to learn from someone elses experience.