OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Truglo Tru-brite open red dot

Started by TNhunterKMC, March 11, 2011, 11:12:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TNhunterKMC

The sight seems to be constructed pretty well.  The glass is really clear.  It is indeed a metal housing.  Time will tell how well it takes the abuse of repeated recoil of a 3" magnum turkey load.   Time afield will also tell how "water resistant" it is.  (Wish it was waterproof).   I'm thinking about leaving my Truglo adjustable sights on in case I have to pull this optic off in the field.  They sit just above the B-Square so I could still use them in case of emergency.   If I do decide to take it off, I'll put a Truglo fiber optic front sight that rides down low to the rib since I could still sight under the B-Square if necessary.  

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

chatterbox

Good looking sight, but the "shock resistant" tag would worry me. I would only run shock proof.
Mag turkey loads show no mercy.

TNhunterKMC

That worries me to somewhat - if it dies I'll replace it with a Quick Shot.   

TNhunterKMC

Sent a couple questions to Truglo over the weekend asking them just what was meant by "shock resistant" and "water resistant" and this is what they returned:

"They are tested to a recoil up to a .50caliber. They are Water resistant and not submersible. Rain would not be a problem."

TNhunterKMC

Finally got to shoot my gun today with the new optic.  Dialed it into the center of a 12"x18" sheet of paper from 25 yds using some light dove loads.  Moved back to 35 yards and used some Winchester HV 3" 1 3/4 oz #5 shot loads to dial it in with a magnum turkey load - it was shooting high with the hotter loads.  Once I dialed it in I took 3 last shots from 40 yds - one with Winchester HV 3" 1 3/4 oz #5 (138 hits in 10" circle), one with Hevishot 3" 2oz #7 (204 hits in 10" circle), one with Hevishot 3" 2oz Magnum Blend (209 hits in 10" circle).  I'll be loaded with the Magnum Blends come next Saturday morning.

TauntoHawk

How'd you like the sight after shooting with it?

Good field of view, clear sight picture? How are the reticals
? Bright enough are the dots and circles clear or fuzzy

appreciate the review and insight on the new sight
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

TNhunterKMC

Very clear sight picture with good field of view.   The sight just disappears when looking through it.  Shot it with both eyes open and with one closed.  The reticles are not fuzzy at all - good and crisp.  I shot with the sights on the second level of brightness since it was overcast yesterday.   Even on its lowest setting the dot could be seen. 

Swamprunner

What is involved in mounting this on a SBE2?  What do I need?

Skeeterbait

You will need a one piece Weaver or preferably Picatinny rail that fits the top of your receiver and the receiver will need to be drilled and tapped by a gunsmith if it did not come from the factory drilled and tapped.  Then the sight will mount directly to the rail.

turkeytromp

Quote from: Swamprunner on March 29, 2011, 12:39:37 PM
What is involved in mounting this on a SBE2?  What do I need?

Swamp runner,Here is what you need and is the correct mount for your SBEII

Weaver 93 -AT 7/8" width multi slotted Part # 48339
Call 1-866-788-7386 the rail is 24.88 shipped to your door I believe.
This is the "New" version and is multi slotted for more adjustment features and it comes with the correct size screws for mounting as well.
Yes the mueller or the truglo will fit perfect on this rail, this is the exact set up I have besides I chose the matching realtree APG Truglo because it sets lower on the base than the mueller and I'm glad I did because I do not have to pull my cheak off the stock to aim and shoot or modify the stock comb riser!
Hope this helps.

ILIKEHEVI-13

Swamprunner

Thanks guys.  I got this thing a week ago and absolutely love it.  I've waxed two with it, and I can't imagine not having it. Deadly, I tell ya.

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: Swamprunner on April 16, 2011, 05:52:19 PM
Thanks guys.  I got this thing a week ago and absolutely love it.  I've waxed two with it, and I can't imagine not having it. Deadly, I tell ya.

Hey thanks.  I may still get one.  Where is the cheapest place to buy them?