turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Strong base and rings? Whos?

Started by Turkasaurus, June 16, 2011, 02:27:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Turkasaurus

I have a Nikon Monarch on the way w/ Turkey Pro reticle to go on a new Reminton Super Mag, Its factory ready for mounts.  Who makes a worry free strong mount to go with this?
Fueled by Nitro Ammo Co.

Hognutz

They are all good. I would go with a steel (not aluminum) ""Weaver'' style base and rings. They are as good as anything, outside of a dual dovetail set-up. Any of the major manufacturers will do. Leupold, Burris, Weaver, etc...Mike
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

Turkasaurus

Fueled by Nitro Ammo Co.

BurrisOptics

There are a lot of advantages to the Signature Series Zee Rings.  This may help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gykqhy395Jg

Reloader

I prefer to go with aluminum on shotguns for the slight weight savings.  Leupolds Rifleman rings are very tough.  I've installed them on several light weight heavy recoiling rifles and shotguns, never had one issue.  Weaver's 429M is a good base, but use loctite on the screws.

I have a Nikon Monarch on an 870SM in Leupie RM rings and it's never budged under many heavy recoiling Nitro like loads. I also have these rings on a slug gun with a 2-7x32 3200 and they've never budged.

Here's a link to the rings:
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=722296

Hognutz

Quote from: Reloader on June 21, 2011, 05:48:44 PM
I prefer to go with aluminum on shotguns for the slight weight savings.  

With all do respect..What do you gain by going aluminum? An ounce, maybe two. That's not enough of a plus to change from steel, for me. Steel is the stronger of the two, and two ounces of weight means little when you're toting a gun. There are few guns on the planet that recoil more than a turkey rig. Stronger is better. JMHO Mike

vaturkey

B- Square Mounts are mighty tuff !!  And so are Leupold  !!

vaturkey   :newmascot:
Vaturkey

Reloader

Quote from: Hognutz on June 27, 2011, 05:19:49 PM
Quote from: Reloader on June 21, 2011, 05:48:44 PM
I prefer to go with aluminum on shotguns for the slight weight savings.  

With all do respect..What do you gain by going aluminum? An ounce, maybe two. That's not enough of a plus to change from steel, for me. Steel is the stronger of the two, and two ounces of weight means little when you're toting a gun. There are few guns on the planet that recoil more than a turkey rig. Stronger is better. JMHO Mike

Hog,

Every little bit helps. There are some very strong aluminum rings out these days. Talley, DN, and Leupold just to name a few. I run steel on plenty of guns for looks alone, but I've never had good aluminum rings move.

I see no point to running steel rings on an aluminum base.  Add in a steel base and the weight savings is more than enough to justify it to me.

Hognutz

I understand what you are saying, Reloader. As said before, each to his own. I will stick to my steel base/rings theory. There are a bunch of mounting systems out there, and if they are properly done, they will do the job. Find what you like and stick to it..Mike

Reloader

10-4, you gota go with what gives you confidence.

I had ran aluminum bases and rings on quite a few guns in years past and never had an issue even though they were of questionable quality.  After running steel on plenty of guns for several years I decided to give newer age aluminum mounts a try on a few guns with stiff recoil and never ran into a problem, so I've given them the nod on several rigs in resent years.  The Talley LWs are very stout and several of the newer wvr/pic rings are quite stout as well.  I'm running aluminum on probably 10+ rigs currently and haven't had an issue, but I still go with steel on some.  My new custom 25-06 will get steel Leupie DDs for their smooth looks.  Put the same on a new 257Wby as well.  I've had good luck with both Burris and Leupie DDs.  Alot of the steel pic mounts are heck for stout, but they are heavy.  On some guns weight is a nonissue.

Have a good one,

Reloader