turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Truglo Tru-Brite & Remington 1187

Started by Sherrell, May 23, 2011, 08:14:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sherrell

My new Remington 1187 sportsman Super magnum came with a weaver scope base.
My question is with the fiber optic sights that are factory on the gun now-will a truglo Tru-Brite mount on the top of the receiver be above the sights without me removing my sights and making the gun look bad.

ILIKEHEVI-13

Sherrell

I went and ordered one from cheaper than dirt.....we will see,but I believe your right.it should be above the fiber optics.

ILIKEHEVI-13

Your going to like it. 

This view from my 835 tells me it should be above your open sights on the gun. 

Sherrell

Thanks so much....the new Remington has the Truglow hi-viz rifle sights and I nailed quit a few birds this Spring without any misses,but when you posted your new sight I became very interested.
Seems to me no matter where the dot is located on the screen,your pattern would still be on target.
Grateful Remington sent a weaver mount in the box with the new gun.mounted it already and just waiting on the new sight.

ILIKEHEVI-13

Thought I would let you know what I did to mount mine.  On the Weaver base, I put nail polish on all 4 screws and torqued each screw to 20in/lbs.  That should be a plenty for such small screws.  I don't know if you have a torque screwdriver, but they are worth their weight in gold.  I then torqued the 2 sight screws to 24in/lbs that holds the sight to the base. 

Here's a picture of the Wiha torque screwdriver I have.  I paid $108 shipped from Sears for it I believe.  They have went up tremendously since then. 

Sherrell

Thanks brother....got it mounted and going to head up and check on my poult hatch,then get her sighted in.
I appreciate your help and it was above the fiber optics.

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: Sherrell on May 27, 2011, 08:08:07 PM
Thanks brother....got it mounted and going to head up and check on my poult hatch,then get her sighted in.
I appreciate your help and it was above the fiber optics.

That's why I'm here buddy!  I love helping out when I can.  Let me know how you like it. 

MDbowman

ILIKE did you have to do any stock mods or use a Monte Carlo type add on pad when using that sight? It looks like it sits up a little high. I am considering one, but hate the idea of having my cheek a smidge off the stock when I touch off a 3 1/2!!

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: MDbowman on May 31, 2011, 02:11:46 PM
ILIKE did you have to do any stock mods or use a Monte Carlo type add on pad when using that sight? It looks like it sits up a little high. I am considering one, but hate the idea of having my cheek a smidge off the stock when I touch off a 3 1/2!!

All I did was add the Bear Tooth comb kit from Cabelas.  I have one pad inserted and it's not the thickest one either. 

ILIKEHEVI-13

Guys I will tell you this about me.  I am extremely picky when it comes to guns and what works and what doesn't.  I wouldn't for a second recommend this sight if I thought it was a piece of junk.  That sight so far from what I have seen has been the best sight I have used.  I like it 10 times more than my Bushnell grn/red dot scope.  It works about like a Burris and I think it is built sort of after the Burris.  It holds its zero from what I have seen so far.  It's a breeze to look through and use.  I wished it set just a little lower is all.  And the other only negative is the adjustments don't seem to be click adjustments like it states on the package.  I think my left and right is but the up and down isn't.  But that is minor.  It took me no time to sight it in.  A matter of fact I would recommend not even moving the adjustments until after you mount and shoot it.  I think mine would have been almost deadnut had I not moved it up higher.  

I would give this sight 4 solid stars out of 5.  And I am picky.  And it comes with a lifetime warranty.  And it works very well, and looks good doing it.  

jig pitcher

I think I'm going to try one.  Just wish they made it in camo.  Don't think the turkeys will mind though.

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: jig pitcher on May 31, 2011, 03:00:39 PM
I think I'm going to try one.  Just wish they made it in camo.  Don't think the turkeys will mind though.

Nope.  I have used a black gun for years.  Some guy said the word TruGlo is a little bright on the sight and may want to cover it up or black over it with a sharpie.  If a turkey gets close enough to where he can see that, he will be already dead.  But that is funny.  Too many guys get wrapped up in all the camo thing.  Heck I used to kill turkeys in blue jeans in the early 80's.  

ILIKEHEVI-13

Here's a picture of the gun and sight.  You can see the Bear Tooth comb kit added.  That is all you will need other than a Weaver base.  

The guy I talked to at TruGlo told me this sight will very easily stand up to the recoil of the 3.5" turkey loads.  And the warranty pretty well told me I'm guaranteed forever.  That's why I bought it.  Like I said, I love mine.  

MDbowman

You even have that 'ultra lightweight' waterfowl model just like I do!!!