turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Good load for mossberg

Started by coyote1, May 18, 2013, 04:55:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coyote1

Anyone know of a good brand #5 or #6 that would shoot well out of the moss 500 with a star dot .668 choke ? I know all guns are different, just want to know what some of you guys get good patterns with.

R AJ

My first choice is Win Supreme HV 3-1 3/4-#5 or #6 followed by Win 3-2-#5/#6 (Red Shell).

Next is the Federal Thugs in 3-1 7/8-5/6

Win Gray box same load as thugs above.

Federal FC wad in #6s. I would still keep trying if not satisfied after this.

Note: Against all 40 yd advice given , I look hard at my 30 and 35 yard patterns as that is my max 98% of the time. Lots of 12 gauge patterns look super at 30 but not so hot at 40.

BrowningGuy88

Quote from: RAJ on May 18, 2013, 07:34:01 PM
My first choice is Win Supreme HV 3-1 3/4-#5 or #6 followed by Win 3-2-#5/#6 (Red Shell).

Next is the Federal Thugs in 3-1 7/8-5/6

Win Gray box same load as thugs above.

Federal FC wad in #6s. I would still keep trying if not satisfied after this.

Note: Against all 40 yd advice given , I look hard at my 30 and 35 yard patterns as that is my max 98% of the time. Lots of 12 gauge patterns look super at 30 but not so hot at 40.

Some good advice right there!

coyote1

Thanks for the replies. I was looking at the winchesters, so i think i will give them a shot. I agree with the 35 yard max, every shell i have tried so far with my current setup has been a 35 yard limit with #4 shot so i figure 5's may be a good blend of pattern density and kinetic energy.

jblackburn

Winchester Supreme XX, the red shells!  They shoot the best out of my Mossberg, but I have a factory XX full.
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.