turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Choke?

Started by bunk, March 14, 2012, 05:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bunk

What choke and constriction would work good in my Rem. 870 SM 26" barrel with Win. HV 5s. or 6s.. I currently have a Jelly Head 660 and it performs very well with Hevi 7s. but I took a shot with some 31/2 2oz. HV 6s. and was not impressed. They only went 77 in the 10" at 40. The POI was left of what my Hevi's where but I measured the core best I could. I was out of time and plan on trying them again with the Jelly Head and my RSF. The RSF in the same gun was in the high 80's with Rem. 3" 5s a few years ago before I swapped to Hevi. I was hoping for a 100 or better with the HV 6s. I have enough Hevi's to do me this season but next year I will be shooting lead so I have time to experiment with different chokes. Just thought I might get some opinions.

tyelper

bunk

I've seen some good reviews on the Ventilator and I thought about the Kicks or SSX. Do yall think I should try a tighter constriction or more open than my 660? What is working good with the Win. HV 5s or 6s?

Trevor2

Most will say a ssx is too tight for #6 but i got 130 after polishing in the 10" at 40 with my remi 870 21" barrell with my ssx shooting win hv #6
Strutstopper

FttFttVroom!

The constriction isn't too tight....just seems jellyheads and winchester shells don't like each other.  Same problems in my 870SM too.  I find the .665 Kicks and Truglo TG170X to be much better.

bunk

Just got done patterning some Win HV 5s and got 110 in 10" with the 660 Jelly Head. I guess I would need a tighter choke for the 6s being they only went 77 in the 10" but I'm liking the 5s pretty good.