turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

osceola country

Started by J.D. Shellnut, January 25, 2018, 01:12:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J.D. Shellnut

Is Welaka Florida considered Osceola country???
60% of the time it works every time!

Cove

That will depend on who you ask. . . my answer . . no.

NWTF's answer, yes.

I assume you're wondering if you can add it as your "florida turkey" toward your grand slam then yes, it will foot the bill.

Either way, it'll be a fine turkey to hunt.  :icon_thumright:

J.D. Shellnut

Not going for a slam or anything. Just have a friend that lives there with a place I could kill a turkey. I know how hard osceolas are to come by for out of state folks. And was just wondering if they live there. I can kill eastern turkeys at the house! lol

davisd9

Quote from: J.D. Shellnut on January 25, 2018, 01:57:43 PM
Not going for a slam or anything. Just have a friend that lives there with a place I could kill a turkey. I know how hard osceolas are to come by for out of state folks. And was just wondering if they live there. I can kill eastern turkeys at the house! lol

Extra limits are worth the time regardless of the subspecies.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

joey46

Yes - come down and enjoy the weather and the hunt.  Just don't ever say "hybrid". Florida turkey are known to change subspecies as they fly back and forth across the Suwanee River. :TooFunny:

J.D. Shellnut

So the general consensus is no???

BottomLand54

I say go turkey hunting if you don't want to go tell him to invite me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FL-Boss

Welaka/ Putnam County is 100% Osceola country all day long.

dayna105

What about between Old Town and Cross City in Dixie county. Is that Osceola country?

GobbleNut

I hunted Florida a while back.  As luck would have it, I was able to hunt right on the border between the Eastern subspecies and the Osceola subspecies as designated by the NWTF "experts".   I called in two gobblers together,...I think they were brothers.  They were on the Eastern side of the line when they got to me and I shot one of them.  The other one ran across the line and so I shot him, too.  ...Got my Eastern and my Osceola at the same time!   ;D :toothy12: :toothy9:

Ridge

Per the FWC website...

"The National Wild Turkey Federation External Website and the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC) recognize, in their respective turkey registry programs, any wild turkey harvested within or south of the counties of Dixie, Gilchrist, Alachua, Union, Bradford, Clay and Duval, to be the Osceola subspecies. Eastern turkeys and hybrids are found north and west of those counties in the Panhandle." 

Roost 1

There is some great hunting around Welaka. I've been there twice. Light birds with long spurs lead me to believe the birds I killed were Osceolas. NWTF never questioned me when I submitted them for my slams. The birds I killed are colored differently than the easterns I kill in KY and TN.
Good luck!!

J.D. Shellnut

Thanks for all the replies and info!!!