OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Short box or Long box?

Started by aclawrence, January 21, 2018, 03:48:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aclawrence

Hey guys, I'm just getting back into turkey hunting and am resupplying my turkey call collection.   I've been drooling over all the sweet looking box calls on the forum here. There are some great builders and calls here.  I would like to pick up a new box call and was curious if you recommend for me to start with a long or short box. I'm not in a position to spend $150 on a box call even though I'd like to. I've seen some short boxes in the 50-75 range which I could go for.  My goal for now is to get one new box and one new pot call. I know the short and long may have different applications but I can only start with one for now. What say ye ole wise forum members?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

paboxcall

Get yourself a long box. Much more versatile than a short box. A quality, well tuned long box can have multiple hens, jakes and gobbler yelps and clucks in it. A quality long box will kee-kee on the top end, have a solid young hen, raspy hen and jake yelp, and finally a gobbler yelp on the bottom end of each rail. Change your finger position and pressure and you inflect a different tone in each spot on the rail. A quality long box can gobble too.

Here's my Lightning Strike long box from Ralph Snodgrass, which does the above and simply gets better every year I've had it:

Another option is a mini-boat - again, a quality mini will do everything above - kee-kee to gobbler yelp - but in a smaller box.

"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Spring Creek Calls

I never leave home without a box call, it's a short box most of the time. Windy day, it's a long box.
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

KentuckyHeadhunter

I would recommend the short box based on what you have said here.  I think they are more user friendly and take up less real estate.  It kinda depends on the terrain you hunt too.  I do love long boxes and I have some of the best but I just don't use them very often.  Good luck on your quest and let us know what you get.
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

Chris O

You can get a nice box call in your price range there are a few makers on this site that are in that price range and one of them replied to your post already. I don't own a long box only because I know I wouldn't like carrying it. I know they sound good, but a short box is easier to carry.Don't over look scratch boxes either they produce good box call quality sound and are a real pleasure to carry and totally silent until you play them,no accidental squeaks. You could probably get both for the high end of your budget,have fun choosing

aclawrence

Yes I have been listening through a lot of Spring Creeks calls. They sound great to me. I'm totally unfamiliar with the scratch box calls. How long have these calls been around for? 

Chris O

Quote from: aclawrence on January 21, 2018, 05:10:32 PM
Yes I have been listening through a lot of Spring Creeks calls. They sound great to me. I'm totally unfamiliar with the scratch box calls. How long have these calls been around for? 

they have been around a long time. I actually think Spring Creek makes some or has in the past
Check out the scratch box forum on here

mtns2hunt

I would not mess with a scratch call just starting out. I would purchase a short box call and a glass pot with three to four strikers of your choice but one should, in my opinion, be black locust. Black locust will play on almost anything and is easy to use. Finally, while I like listening to sound files I would only purchase a call that I could personally play first. I would be looking for a call that is user friendly and very forgiving. Then practice it alot.

Many on this site and others are selling good calls that they play well but lacking their experience it may be difficult to duplicate. I frequently go to gun shows or sporting events, where vendors are demonstrating their wares to purchase calls. They will also provide plenty of free advice and demonstrate their calls while providing instruction. Just my two cents but I got tired of buying calls only to end up selling them on e-bay because I could not get the right sound.
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

Greg Massey

Short box and long box for your bag of tricks ... Spring Creek on this site sales a good long box and shot box for the money..just message him and he will help you with your needs at reasonable price...  Jim Shelley makes one of the best walnut slate pots you could ever own , he has facebook page and online site..he has a great glass call also..he will you send you 2 strikers with each call so don't go out at first and just buy strikers

vt35mag

Short box from Spring Creek or SS will serve you well.
Longs aren't that difficult to play, but I would recommend a short to a newbie, or someone getting back into it every day of the week. I would tackle learning the long box before a scratcher too.

aclawrence

Thanks guys for all the recommendations. I've killed a lot of turkeys in the past but it's been a while.  I didn't connect last year and I'm looking forward to round two this season.  I will be looking over the calls y'all have suggested.

Happy hooker

Where do you live??? There might be callmaker not far from you that you could go try.

compton30

Long boxes are great sounding calls, but they don't fit my style so they never make the starting lineup for me. A short box is always in my vest. It just so happens I was in a situation similar to you where I couldn't spend much and Mike of Spring Creek helped me out immediately with a short box that sounded awesome for a great deal. That's just my experience

aclawrence

Quote from: Happy hooker on January 22, 2018, 04:59:48 AM
Where do you live??? There might be callmaker not far from you that you could go try.
I'm in NW Alabama. That would be cool if there was.

TauntoHawk

I feel like a short box is just easier to run then a long box, also much easier to carry even out in Nebraska if the wind wasn't howling I carried two short boxes over a long box I just prefer them but there are many that go the other way and give the long box the edge, when you get good they are more versatile as far as sound tone because of the longer rail.

I don't think for the money I could recommend anything over a SS field grade from Al Shoemaker.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>