turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

pot calls?

Started by bassmaster, January 17, 2013, 09:19:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bassmaster

Hi I'm new to turkey hunting and getting my equipment around for spring. I'm looking at pot calls now and will be buying a slate call. My question is, been looking at a Holloran or Kaiser, since I found this web site I've seen quite a few good looking calls for half the coin. What would you recommend,type of wood, striker, private custom, or which company. PS I'm a little picky on looks and don't want a box store brand.

Thanks for your input. :funnyturkey:

Clif Owen

My advice is to look through the classifieds and get an idea of what you like. Talk to one or 2 of the makers nd ask their opinion. They know more about how THEIR calls sound with each type of material. Also will tell you if they don't think a combination would work too. I've only dealt with a couple of these guys but would gladly recommend them to anyone.

VanHelden Game Calls

Yup just start flipping the pages here.  Eventually you will find a style that you like, and then just make a post inquiring about the maker and you will have all the information you could want.  Then talk to the maker and listen to the sound, and make sure they stand behind there call (I think all here would). 

I think you will not have any problems, except having enough $ :)

Moore

David H. makes a great call dont get me wrong but the customer service wasnt that great. Dustin jones of Back stone custom calls Has both . great customer service and nice looking calls. That being said dont by a call on their looks. the prettiest call could sound terriable, and vise versea. Give dustin a shout he make a great call. his one piece strikers are very well balanced. He wont send a call out that he is not happy with and wont hunt, or compete with. http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Blackstone-Custom-Calls/229301093751833 . I was refered myself  from a contest callers I compete with.
[

WildSpur

Real slate sounds very good but it would not be my only pot call because of weather and moisture issues.

I would look into glass, corian, or aluminum.  I really like glass.  I would also look into a wood striker of some sort and a synthetic striker.  I have had a lot of luck with a carbon striker on aluminum and glass.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

Cluck more, yelp less

outdoors

Have U thought of ceramic , holds up real good to heavy moisture , also a great call .
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

deersled

2 words........Lonnie Sneed. Just bought a "Hot Hen" slate and a "Green Glass". Very reasonably priced, great guy to talk with and wonderful sounding calls.

Onpoint

My best pot is a David Hollaran glass call. It's got a slate soundboard and an openin big enough on the bottom where you can flip it over and play the slate too. It's a very nice call. My next call is gonna be a Lonzo Trice slate.

WVhuntEER

As others have stated there are so many good custom call makers on this site you can't go wrong.  I have a David H.  Crystal Mistress that is fantastic so I'm sure his slate is awesome too.     I just ordered a Lon Trice bird's eye maple slate.   It won the DD Adams award last year I believe.   

Sully53

Quote from: deersled on January 20, 2013, 09:58:29 PM
2 words........Lonnie Sneed. Just bought a "Hot Hen" slate and a "Green Glass". Very reasonably priced, great guy to talk with and wonderful sounding calls.

X2

West Augusta

Quote from: Sully53 on January 21, 2013, 04:29:38 PM
Quote from: deersled on January 20, 2013, 09:58:29 PM

X2
X3
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.