turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

David Halloran box calls

Started by glennz, March 15, 2012, 06:14:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glennz

Thinking about getting a checkered box call from him. Does anyone have one and how do you like it? What wood combo do you have? I was looking at getting a Pauls call But unfortunately hes tied up for a few weeks and I'm not sure it will be done in time. I will order one of the Pauls eventually but for now I think I'm going to go with the Holloran. So would you recommend Holloran? Thanks

joshb311

I've been curious about which wood combos sound best as well. After I procure a few calls from some Georgia makers I have my eye on, I'll be after one of his as well.

TREEDOG

He does have videos on he's web sight of couple box calls he makes.

savduck

David makes an awesome choke.  PM Drenlinld He has two of them
Georgia Boy

joshb311

Quote from: savduck on March 15, 2012, 09:38:57 PM
David makes an awesome choke.  PM Drenlinld He has two of them

Wow, I didn't know he made chokes also. Too cool.

savduck

HAHAHAHAHAHA I  mean box call.

Sorry i was looking at choke tubes with a split screen and responding to this.
Georgia Boy

triune

I don't have one but have played several and all were great.  Whatever wood combo you like, that's what I'd go for.  Good luck.

drenalinld

I spent two hours playing about 20 of his box calls in Nashville. I picked cedar box with purple heart lid. I got the one with parquet end caps of spalted maple. They sound just as good without parquet end caps which are $15 more. It is wicked bad!! It is Halloran's favorite combo he builds.

I also bought Poplar box with macassar ebony lid. It also is full of turkey. It is Halloran's wife's favorite combo. If you can afford it i highly recommend his leather holster. If i had to choose it would be cedar/ purple heart.

ssramage

I'm going to go against the grain here. I bought one of his Anniversary limited edition something or other calls last year and I don't particularly care for the sound. I may have been ruined though since my Steve Mann calls came in the next week...

drenalinld

Everybody runs a box different and some will fit your style better than others. Everyone also has their own idea of what sounds best. You can never go wrong with Mann.

Comparing boxes is like comparing women, luckily everyone does not have the same favorite!! The Halloran boxes sound totally different than my Paul's calls, but I can't say one sounds better than the other. Halloran's boxes and pots for that matter have a bite or an edge in the sound that makes turkeys gobble in my experience.

Little Creek

I had a chance to play with his boxes in Nashville in February and wasn't really impressed with the craftsmanship. First his partner in the booth was bragging about the inlays and time and talent it takes but then I open the box to play it and notice all the points in the bottom of the box from the forstner bit. I am no expert and am still learning to make a one piece box from an older call maker but that is one first things he taught me was to use the correct bits to finish the call and get a smooth bottom. I guess it's just one of those small details that gets overlooked and maybe doesn't matter all that much, just looks a little tacky in my opinion because of the way I was taught.

PureGold

His calls are great! I have a number of his calls and wouldn't sell them for nothin!  I have a box that is Yellow poplar and macassar ebony. This call is awesome. I don't care too much about the looks(which personally they look great) but more about how they run! He is a top notch guy and so are his guys in the booth! You were probably speaking of Kevin. His Uncle! You wouldn't be a bit bias if your nephew was building calls of this caliber now would you???

Call David! He won't sell you a bad call!  :turkey2:

Hersh

I bought one from him 2 years ago in Nashville. I bought the cedar with purpleheart lid . Love the call. Very nice guy too. Spent a bunch of time talking to us and showing us how to run the call. Both of my buddies with me bought calls from him too. You cant go wrong with his calls in my opinion. Ryan

siyakadog

A couple of years ago I set up a phone call with him in his shop.  You can hear all of the calls and he will play his favorites and you can choose the one you heard.  He was very good on the phone, I got a ebony box call and pot call from him.  Also ditto on the leather holster, it doesn't make a sound in the leather holster, very good quality also.