OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Competition yelps/ Call cuts

Started by Bustabeak, March 08, 2012, 09:32:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bustabeak

What type cut do some of you competition callers use for your competition assembly yelps? What is the best cut to get a clear front end on the yelp? I'd like to get into the competition but i've got a lot of work to do first.. :(

Dean

Longbeardfever4ever

For my assembly yelps I run a combo cut. All my other yelps I run a batwing.
Hook's Custom Calls
Keep The Fever Custom Calls
Romans 3:24

mfd1027

You've got what you need as far as call's go Josh.   Now you need to learn how to move your tongue around on the reeds to find the clear spot on whatever call your using.   Some cuts will produce a clear high end easier than others but it's really more about tongue position and pressure than it is about the particular cut.   If your calls are rasping out on you too soon try "reducing" the pressure and moving you tongue around and you'll hit a clear high pitched note.  Once you find it practice just making clear yelps.

I recommend you get Scott Ellis's new DVD Mouthcall Magic.   He explains things in an understandable fashion.   You'll also learn how to purr like a pro.   
Dan

Bustabeak

Quote from: mfd1027 on March 08, 2012, 10:41:58 PM
You've got what you need as far as call's go Josh.   Now you need to learn how to move your tongue around on the reeds to find the clear spot on whatever call your using.   Some cuts will produce a clear high end easier than others but it's really more about tongue position and pressure than it is about the particular cut.   If your calls are rasping out on you too soon try "reducing" the pressure and moving you tongue around and you'll hit a clear high pitched note.  Once you find it practice just making clear yelps.

I recommend you get Scott Ellis's new DVD Mouthcall Magic.   He explains things in an understandable fashion.   You'll also learn how to purr like a pro.   

I actually just got the Scott Ellis DVD and you are right about the calls. Whether or not I can get the front end down or the purrs, Those calls you sent will be used thursday morning on an old Alabama Gobbler.

Dan makes a fine mouth call. I just have to learn how to run them correctly! Thanks again Dan!

mfd1027

As hard as you worked on the Haint and as good as you are with it now I have no doubt you will get that front end and purr down before you kill that 'Bama gobbler.  I can't wait to see what happens when you hit em with the Haint.   
Dan