OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Copper v. Titanium

Started by Footballer, February 22, 2012, 12:32:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Footballer

I'm thinking about adding another metal to the vest. I know titanium is expensive and rare, but it appears to get good reviews. Copper also appears to be highly recommended.

What is the difference in sound and frequency? Decisions, decisions...

paturkeyhntr

I can't give you any info on Titanium, but I have a copper call and love it.  It is higher pitched and very easy to play.  Low maintenance...I use scotch brite and rub it very lightly and that lasts for many, many days of playing....There are some pretty reasonably priced copper calls in the classifieds.

Cut*N*Run

I'd like a to make a titanium call at some point just for kicks, but paturkeyhntr is right- if you don't have a copper call yet, get one.

misfire

I have made both, not impressed with the titanium, but absolutely LOVE copper. Made four over the weekend and sold them all Saturday.
Pray as if everything depends on God, work like everything depends on you

www.misfiregamecalls.net

pappy

say what you will about copper it is a great call, but I have made at least a dozen titanium pots and every one except for one, was exceptional. Each carried great high pitch with a lot of rasp, the key is to play it like a violin not a fiddle, only had trouble with one, because the fellow couldn't play it, but when I got it back I did and it was fine, it ended up in Tennessee with a bird to its credit.
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206

Footballer

How does copper compare to plain aluminum?

Pappy- do you have a video or soundbite of a titanium? I think you should do a video with an aluminum, copper, and titanium together so we can hear the difference!

pappy

Don't have any videos, tried to do the one with the gobbler tube call and someone hacked it over to another site and they were having a good time bad mouthing it, even though I stated on the post that the call wasn't really tuned or ready yet....
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206

decoykrvr

If you can't run copper and make it break, cutt, then run it down to soft mellow clucks and yelps, then you'll have trouble w/ titanium.  As Jack said, titanium requires more finesse and is somewhat finicky regarding striker preference.  The range and response of titanium to dense, hard strikers like Ipe vs a striker of cedar or cherry is impressive.  Titanium seems to carry better than most other call surfaces and shines on windy days.

redleg06

Copper seems higher pitched than aluminum.

I don't have a titanium but Copper is my new favorite surface. It just has an electric sound to it that jumps out at you...it's hard to describe but I feel like it's one of the easier surfaces to play on and it has such a unique sound that it's got a permanent spot in my vest.

Gobblerstopper

It's wierd that copper and aluminum have completely different sounds, yet both are hard to beat in the woods. 

I think the playability of both of them is about equal if using bead blasted aluminum.