OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Best Chalk

Started by Ches., March 06, 2023, 09:14:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gdc23

Quote from: Ches. on March 07, 2023, 04:38:07 PMOk, just so many options and no clear winner as far as I read it. I clean my paddle, put new chalk on the tune if it is not sounding right to my ear. Maybe that's the wrong approach but the one I have been using. I was using the Primos Red chalk, but just got a 6 pack of the half moon blue carpenters chalk. It powders very easy on application and sounds good to me.
Ches.
There really cant be a winner it's all what your looking for to get out of a particular box. To me David Halloran blue chalk produces extreme friction, but for some of my boxes I dont want that much grip. It's all about finding combos that work well together and provide the sound your looking for

bnew17

Quote from: gdc23 on May 04, 2024, 04:37:17 PM
Quote from: Ches. on March 07, 2023, 04:38:07 PMOk, just so many options and no clear winner as far as I read it. I clean my paddle, put new chalk on the tune if it is not sounding right to my ear. Maybe that's the wrong approach but the one I have been using. I was using the Primos Red chalk, but just got a 6 pack of the half moon blue carpenters chalk. It powders very easy on application and sounds good to me.
Ches.
There really cant be a winner it's all what your looking for to get out of a particular box. To me David Halloran blue chalk produces extreme friction, but for some of my boxes I dont want that much grip. It's all about finding combos that work well together and provide the sound your looking for

Is the blue Halloran chalk different than the blue halfmoon carpenters chalk? Both look identical, Just wondering

DocHolliday

I bought a gross of that Dixon red chalk some years ago. Awesome stuff. Too bad the factory burned down

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Greg Massey on March 18, 2023, 12:46:51 AMPeople can use what they want, but i will never use sidewalk chalk on my calls with the availability of better chalk.  Have you ever tried to remove some of that sidewalk chalk off of concrete ... omg .... 
I have to agree Greg, everything I have ever read says to avoid sidewalk chalk like the plague due to the wax or oil in it, I do not recall which. Come to think of it I had one of those Quakerboy Cloverleaf box calls back in the 90's and somebody put his kids sidewalk chalk on it after I loaned it to him, had to take fine sandpaper to that thing for days before it played right again. I had forgotten about that until now.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

gdc23

Quote from: bnew17 on May 08, 2024, 04:09:05 PM
Quote from: gdc23 on May 04, 2024, 04:37:17 PM
Ches.

Is the blue Halloran chalk different than the blue halfmoon carpenters chalk? Both look identical, Just wondering
It is the blue half moon chalk, but Im not sure what brand.

Gman

I only have been using the blue half-moon chalk on my 3 old Lynch box calls. The chalk is over 35 years old and was curious if it will be adequate for my new Spring Creek Jatoba/ Western Alder short box that I will be receiving. Haven't bought any new chalk but am all ears for what will be the best for my new short box.

Spring Creek Calls

Quote from: Gman on May 16, 2024, 12:43:41 PMI only have been using the blue half-moon chalk on my 3 old Lynch box calls. The chalk is over 35 years old and was curious if it will be adequate for my new Spring Creek Jatoba/ Western Alder short box that I will be receiving. Haven't bought any new chalk but am all ears for what will be the best for my new short box.

I will send a chunk of the same chalk that I use on all my calls, Dixon white. Feel free to wipe it off with a soft cloth if you choose to apply a different chalk.
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

Gman

Thank You, I will use the chalk that you send!