Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Are we Too Smart for our own Britches? Devotional 11/25/12

Started by pappy, November 25, 2012, 11:18:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pappy

With all the technological advances, it would seem that we have come a far way, since the time of the invented wheel. From sticks and stones to mega-pixels and gigabytes, from writing letters to typing pm's or replies on our computers. Is this a sign? Genesis 11: 5 - 9 ... " 5 And the LORD came down to see the city and the tower, which the children of men builded . And the LORD said , Behold, the people is one, and they have all one language; and this they begin to do : and now nothing will be restrained from them, which they have imagined to do . Go to , let us go down , and there confound their language, that they may not understand one another's speech. So the LORD scattered them abroad from thence upon the face of all the earth: and they left off to build the city. Therefore is the name of it called Babel; because the LORD did there confound the language of all the earth: and from thence did the LORD scatter them abroad upon the face of all the earth.
What's wrong with technological advance? NOTHING....as long as we do not begin to take things too far, like building a tower that would reach Heaven.....WHY?
When mankind makes an effort to outdo God, it is wrong. He is the Creator, and yet, mankind has constantly tried to develop "in lab" fetuses and done so, clone living things and have done so, reach beyond the heavens and have done so....soon, will these accomplishments drive us to become gods? Psalm 118:8... It is better to trust in the LORD than to put confidence in man. When we as human beings begin to follow after our own knowledge instead of following after God's, we begin to idolize our accomplishments to the point to where we would believe we don't need God. The tower of Babel is one of the greatest examples of man following his accomplishments...too far.
Let me ask you something, do you spend more time in Facebook rather then in God's Book? The dangers of technological advances are separated by a very thin line, we HAVE TO REMEMBER God first and foremost. Thank Him for the intelligence and the opportunity to advance, but we must NEVER take it too far, NEVER place our accomplishments as Idols before us. 
Am I anti-tech ? Lord, no....I am just a simple minded person who enjoys these advances, but I know when enough is enough, I KNOW WHO I should follow, I KNOW it is wrong for man to try to take God's place as Creator or as supreme authority. But there are people who have forgotten what the past has proven, we cannot take what God has given us and distort it, making it into an Idol. Let us be ever so careful with our blessed intelligence, let us remember our place... Job 12:3 ... " But I have understanding as well as you; I am not inferior to you: yea, who knoweth not such things as these?" 
Let us not get too rash or too bold by abusing our God given talents, let us go forward, as God would intend, not as Man would prefer. Spend time in God's Word, spend time in prayer, spend time observing the blessed wonders of God and let Him take lead, and let us Not take the reigns ourselves, or we too could end up confounded and unwise.....
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206

vaturkey

Thanks for those well spoken words Pappy !   God Bless You My Friend   :jesus-cross:
Vaturkey

misfire

Pray as if everything depends on God, work like everything depends on you

www.misfiregamecalls.net

BOFF

Jack,

Thank you for the devotional. I really liked your challenge/accountability here:

"Spend time in God's Word, spend time in prayer, spend time observing the blessed wonders of God and let Him take lead, and let us Not take the reigns ourselves, or we too could end up confounded and unwise....."

God Bless,
David B.

redarrow

Thanks Pappy. I start every morning with 2 messages from Heartlight and 1 from Sportsmens Devotional.I attend church every Sunday. I am trustee at my church ,so I spend time there doing repairs and attending board meetings.Something is missing in my life.I'm confused and don't quite know the answer. I do know I will not find the answer through technology. Thanks for the reminder to get back to the word.The real word. The one found in the Holy Bible.Computers are great,and make most things easier,but I don't feel the connection to the Lord like I get with the Bible in hand.God Bless :cross2: :cross2: :cross2: