Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Public Land Scouting this morning

Started by FullChoke, February 28, 2015, 07:11:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FullChoke

Weatherman said it was gonna be nice today, and he wasn't wrong. I headed out to some public land to try and pinpoint a gobbler for my grandson next weekend. At 6:14, to my utter surprise, I heard 2 gobblers cut loose 3 times on the roost. A quick check of my Google Earth map showed me the slough that they were perched over. There wasn't a budding tree on the entire place, so we will need to be careful.

If the rain holds off a lot, we will be a sneaking and a slipping up on the Brothers Grimm under the cover of darkness next Saturday morning. We have been trying for a few years to get him on one. Maybe this year?

FC

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Eric Gregg

Get 'em Norm!
Me and guy from my church are hopefully going to be able to get out there this week and scout about 500 acres of new land we are getting to hunt this year!
Got permission to hunt another plot where the owner has seen three gobblers hanging around.
Pasture land surrounded by hardwoods :you_rock:
I am ready to get this thing rolling!

surehuntsalot

glad you heard something Norman
I went this morning and heard nothing but wind and my coughing (getting sick)
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

jakesdad

Norman you southern guys are KILLIN me!!! Here is our forecast for the next week.Not many good listening days in my near future. Ive got to make a trip south one of these years so I can start spring early!
Late Afternoon Snow. High near 26. Southeast wind around 6 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. Total daytime snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible.
Tonight Snow. Low around 21. Southeast wind 3 to 7 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 3 inches possible.
Sunday Snow. High near 31. Calm wind becoming west 5 to 7 mph in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 2 inches possible.
Sunday Night Mostly cloudy, with a low around 15. Northwest wind 5 to 7 mph.
Monday Partly sunny, with a high near 33. Light and variable wind becoming east around 6 mph in the afternoon.
Monday Night Freezing rain and sleet likely, mainly after midnight. Cloudy, with a low around 29. Chance of precipitation is 60%.
Tuesday Showers likely and possibly a thunderstorm. Cloudy, with a high near 46. Chance of precipitation is 70%.
Tuesday Night A chance of rain and snow. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 15. Chance of precipitation is 30%.
Wednesday A 20 percent chance of snow. Partly sunny, with a high near 21.
Wednesday Night Partly cloudy, with a low around 5.
Thursday Sunny, with a high near 26.
Thursday Night Mostly clear, with a low around 17.
Friday Sunny, with a high near 42.
Friday Night Mostly clear, with a low around 27.
Saturday Mostly sunny, with a high near 44

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"