Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

To use decoys or not to use decoys?

Started by birdman561, April 02, 2015, 06:22:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

birdman561

I am just curious as to how many of have had experiences where decoys have hurt you more then helped you, I only hunt public land and can't ever find the confidence to put out a jake decoy in fear of scaring a subordinate bird away from me. whats your first hand experience?

zophy

I'm new to turkey hunting but so far I have to say decoying hurt me. I thought it was because of my cheap decoys. I decided to upgrade and purchase Avian-X decoys that are very realistic and when the turkeys saw my decoys they ran away as if they saw a ghost. Going to try without this weekend.

Cutt

I'd rather have a bird hunt me than see a decoy. As they say "A decoy can make or break your hunt" So why even take a chance?, as they aren't needed when gun hunting anyways.

Bowguy

Good decoys are much better than bad ones. I've hunted with DSD for a year now with zero problems but I don't hunt with em all the time. Mainly roost hunts w kids. I believe with a good set up you won't need decoys. Also believe way more birds are killed without em than with em

Marc

Decoys have hurt me far more than they have helped...

There are times when I think they can be helpful, such as bow-hunting, or hunting a large open area where the birds expect to see who is calling at them...

But, I have had birds hang up on my single hen decoy, and I have had birds run away from my jake...  I have been busted trying to set up a decoy, and one time last year, I left the decoy lying on the road, and went around the the bend to call in the bird...  He went up and over me, and when he saw that decoy lying on the road, he took off (as in airborne).

But, I have had birds coming in, that saw my decoys and then ran in...

Last year I hunted more with decoys than without, and killed my only birds without them...  Especially in wooded areas, I think if a bird is coming, he will continue forward motion until he sees the hen...  They might not come in fast and hard without the decoy, but they do come in...

That being said, there are times I will use one, and this year, more times I will not...
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

TRG3

For those who excel in sounding like a hen looking for a mate, they may not need decoys. I have such a friend who always fills his permits via calling only. My main purpose in calling is to get the gobbler to the point where he sees my Pretty Boy or Funky Chicken hovering over a hen in the breeding position with another hen feeding nearby. I can only recall one time where a gobbler did not come on in when he saw the Pretty Boy and that was in the tail-end of the breeding season where the Funky Chicken would have been less intimidating. That bird, by-the-way, would sit on his butt when he fanned or gobbled and stayed about 70 yards away, finally leaving. I've never seen another tom do that and I've pretty much taken my three gobblers annually over the past 5-6 years!

Dtrkyman

I have taken a bunch of turkeys  with a bow over the last ten years, almost everyone has been either right on top of one of my decoys or within a few feet of them.

I use mounted dekes and believe me it is very rare that I have a negative response, by negative I mean they do not come in, I have never had the dekes spook birds, one area I hunt that has a lot of pressure on the surrounding properties birds will ignore them and circle them often, but birds still fully commit to them more than not!

After all the years of only bowhunting I have been mixing in some traditional gun hunts and use a single hen or dsd jake, but in that style of hunt I am usually in the hills and birds that come in usually are already in range when they see the deke!

With a gun in the timber where I hunt the decoys are not nearly as valuable, I bring one anyway typically!

Triple B

I hunt almost exclusively with a crossbow anymore,and most of the time out of a ground blind.I have been using DSD decoys since before they came out on the market to the public.Short of stuffers,I think they are the best in my own opinion.
Over the last number of years,I have observed more interaction with birds in decoys than ever before.I usually run a hen upright and feeder,and sometimes the jake also.

I have had subordinate toms slide off to the side a time or two with the jake out,but overall my success has been very very good.Not saying that at times decoys can be a hinderance,more than a help,because they can.There are times when birds just don't want to work decoys for one reason or another.And other times using a decoy is not feasible or possible.
I have killed turkeys without decoys also,but I guess I enjoy the show and calling more than the harvest itself.
Turkeys decoys use is a highy argued subject.Some guys love them,and some refuse to use them.In the end it just depends on how you hunt,and what works for you personally.

stinkpickle

There a few general guidelines that I've follow concerning decoy use based on my past experiences...

1.  I use them for field setups, but in the timber where the bird is in range when he shows up, I don't.  I'm not sure why they spook on decoys so often in heavy cover, but they do.

2.  Jake/strutter decoys work great in the early season.  However, I never use them in the late season.  I'm guessing that once the pecking order is established and it's late in the breeding season, toms prefer to avoid a fight.

3.  Cheap vs. expensive decoys don't really matter to me.  A fancy one might keep a bird around longer if you're waiting for the perfect archery shot, but I usually shoot before they get close enough to notice.  Plus, I've had hens hang out with cheap rubber and big-blue-headed featherflex's for over an hour, and they didn't care.  A few soft purrs, clucks, and whines keeps everybody calm.

4.  In the fall, the more I can carry, the better. 

TauntoHawk

I never use decoys on public land.. not worth it

on private I use them as a case by case basis. I've had some awesome hunts with them and some not great one.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

sbraham

I always take decoys and will use them in fields and also logging roads but in timber they stay in the sack. Never have had a bird run from them. I have had them check up about 20 yards from them but i only place them 10 yards from me so no problem. Strutters and jakes are extremely effective but placement of them is important. Just cant stick them in the ground wherever. I fill my tags with and without them but they are in the sack next to me when not in use

Garrett Trentham

More often than not, I use decoys. They don't always work, especially full strut decoys, but as a general rule, I think they help more than they hurt. Realism is a hotly contested topic with decoys. I think it boils down much the same as calling. Realistic calling isn't a requirement to kill turkeys, but if you are going to put in the time and effort, you might as well look and sound as much like a turkey as possible.

To the argument of turkeys flaring or being shy of decoys, I have seen gobblers walk away when they saw a live hen. I have no idea why, but I have seen it. I can only recall one situation where a turkey hung up in clear sight of a realistic hen decoy. Baffling, but it can happen. (they also hang up and walk off without decoys, so I see no disadvantage here)

Strutter decoys are usually an all or nothing affair. It's much like gobbling at a turkey, they either fold up and run right to you or tuck tail and slip away.
"Conservation needs more than lip service... more than professionals. It needs ordinary people with extraordinary desire. "
- Dr. Rex Hancock

www.deltawaterfowl.org

hoyt

I quit using decoys a long time ago. Never had them spook a gobbler that I know of when I did use the real ligtweight roll up type.

I never have hunted out of any type blind and only hunt deep woods on public land and move around to a lot to different areas to call a while and just don't like putting them out and taking them back up so many times.

Brantley

I use decoys in some situations. I hunt public land and will use them if I know where theyre roosting and I'm trying to get a bird off the limb. I sometimes carry a hen when im cruising and trying to strike birds. All that said, my main drawback is people. I hunt ft stewart, ga. and people will sometimes stalk my set-up. It seems rediculous but I had a two guys walk up on my lone hen decoy this morning and start calling. I've also had a guy creep up on a full strutt decoy early one morning. In light of such silliness, I'm a little apprehensive.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep... just like my grandfather. Not screaming, like the people in his car.

owlhoot

Quote from: Brantley on April 03, 2015, 09:54:50 PM
I use decoys in some situations. I hunt public land and will use them if I know where theyre roosting and I'm trying to get a bird off the limb. I sometimes carry a hen when im cruising and trying to strike birds. All that said, my main drawback is people. I hunt ft stewart, ga. and people will sometimes stalk my set-up. It seems rediculous but I had a two guys walk up on my lone hen decoy this morning and start calling. I've also had a guy creep up on a full strutt decoy early one morning. In light of such silliness, I'm a little apprehensive.
I would think apprehensive, wouldn't be too apprehensive about walking out there and beating them guys with a stick! :character0029:    :morning: