OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

setup question

Started by bigquacks, February 28, 2014, 08:57:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigquacks

I have one place I hunt that is public ground but is very seldom hunted by others. It is a very thick overgrown patch of woods sitting between private lands on 3 sides and a river with a large cliff on the other. My problem is the jakes will roost on the public land, but the big boys roost on the other side of the river and fly down to the private fields in the morning. My question is, should I setup as near to the area they fly to back in the thick stuff? Are turkeys skittish about moving around in the thick cover? The jakes and some hens don't seem too bothered by it. Would this be a better late morning setup?

northms

Gobblers like to have some open space to strut and be seen so usually real thick vegetation isn't a great place BUT if the hens are there in the mornings milling around then your gobblers won't be far away. That's assuming the gobblers don't call the hens over to them.

gob09

I've walked through some real thick wet cover on public land where I would think turkey would avoid. While I was cutting through to get to another spot and found quite a few tracks some looked to be made by toms 4"s or longer I'm not by any definition an expert on turkey but I do know toms at least will move through thick covered area's

bigquacks

I have seen them in this area in the fall while deer hunting, was just wondering about during the green-up in spring if they would feel
threatened? There are a few areas on this piece of land that are more open but are in the pines and I don't know if the birds use it much.
Looks like I need to get the trail camera out.

olejake

If it was me, I would set up in the pines..ALL of the birds that I was lucky enough to call in were killed either on the edges of the thickets or in the planted pines where the trees  were tall enough to see through..it seems to me that ole toms like to be seen this time of year.and the more open spots allow it..maybe a little later in the morning, tho.. hafta be very patient..lol

MEbeardlover

:welcomeOG:
My limited experience tells me that toms will head for open areas when they hit the ground unless they immediately find a hen. Sounds like this might be a good place to be in mid to late season in the mid to late morning when the hens are spending more time on the nest and the boys are lonely. In that instance, the cover can work to your advantage if you can call 'em in.

cahaba

I took my brother in law to a WMA once and I was telling him that turkeys avoided thick stuff. I rounded the corner in the road and out of some thick stuff came a tom and some hens. But in general turkeys like to use their eyesight and like more open areas.