Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Differences hunting with different guns

Started by Life of Riley, June 09, 2016, 05:57:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wvmntnhick

the biggest difference is going to be weight and pattern density. Comparing apples to apples, you're generally better off with the 12 ga. The TSS shooters (self included) are shooting smaller shot sizes to gain pattern density. I'll have my 20 loaded next spring with a load of TSS for when we hunt the club back home. Love my 835 but when you're walking 6-8 miles in a morning, I'd rather shave some of the weight. When not covering large distances, I'll take the 835 as I doubt my 20 will catch it even with TSS.

owlhoot

Simply put a 20 gauge  with Federal HW 7's or tss is all that is needed for any wild turkeys in a reasonable, responsible range .
A 12 gauge is simply not necessary.
Unless you want to use it  8)

TRG3

I've taken turkeys with my flintlocks as well as a hammer double barrel 1889 Remington 12 gauge for which I had to load for pressures that would not exceed 6,000 psi. With almost all of my turkeys over the last decade being taken at 20 yards or less, this has not been a problem. So...I'm going to leave my go-to Remington 870 12 gauge home and start taking the same in 20 gauge which will be more than enough to get the job done at 35 yards or less using lead shot via my Undertaker choke tube and be less weight to tote to the turkey woods.

Marc

Past 35 yards, and for most hunters shooting some type of factory load, there is some advantage to the bigger payload of a 12 gauge...  Past 40 yards and utilizing factory loads, a 20 gauge would be a distinct disadvantage...

35 yards and under, there is no discernible difference in lethality...

But the carry weight of a 20 gauge is lighter...  And the comfort of holding that gun up (in anticipation of a shot) for an extended time, or resting it on your knee is notable.

In my mind the advantages of a 20 gauge are not as notable for turkey hunting as they are for upland hunting.  I carry a 20 gauge for all of my valley quail and chuckar hunting, and it ain't cause I am trying to be  "sporty."  Walking long distances over steep or brushy country, it is simply easier to get that lighter 20 gauge to the shoulder more quickly, easily, and efficiently.  With good loads and reasonable shots, I feel there is a distinct advantage to upland hunting with a 20 gauge...

I now find myself shooting a lot of dove and pigeons with a 20 gauge as well...  No advantage, just a fun gun to shoot sometimes...
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

crow

the last several years I've been hunting with a 20ga.  super bantam I picked up used, nothing fancy a good solid work gun. 5 1/5 pounds empty and with a sling. ssx choke

using the fed hvwt 7's I do not feel disadvantaged at all at 40 yards (or a little farther if misjudged the range) than if using a 3" 12 ga.

the only way I feel disadvantaged with the 20 is that if I want to shoot farther than 35yds with factory loads is that you are hoping they don't change anything in the HVWT's and you remember to get them before the season starts.

for the kind of hunting I do the light weight of the 20ga. is well worth it. It is very noticeable compared to the 12ga. 870 8 1/2lbs  when sitting motionless in a ready position for any amount of time or slinging it over your back going up a ridge.(I'm getting old)

g8rvet

20 costs more per trigger pull to get the performance of the 12.  I enjoy shooting my little 20 rig, but it is just for fun.  I only need them dead enough to step on their head and the ranges I will take the shot, the 20 does just fine. 

With duck and goose hunting, I only use a 12.  Too many shots taken to justify the added expense. 
Dove hunting, I only use a 20.  I can kill at the same range and the same efficiency as my 12 and I just enjoy shooting the 20 more. 

With modern loads, proper homework and range time and cost factors, it is just a matter of preference. 

I have hunted ducks with a muzzle loading shotgun, just to prove I could do it.  But it was just a fun project, nothing I would do with regularity.  really have to keep your head down and concentrate on follow through as there is a definite lag from trigger pull to shot compared to modern shells.
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

EZ

Quote from: Happy on June 11, 2016, 07:07:44 AM
All things equal, a 12 guage will always outperform the 20 guage. Now the 20 will make a fine turkey rig if you want to put the time and money into it. There is really no wrong answer just personal preference and how much money you want to invest in it.

Well said.
My choice is 12 ga. The only advantage I see in a 20 is the carrying weight. The weights listed for an 870 12 vs. a 20 is a pound (depending on barrel lengths). So if a pound of weight makes a lot of difference to you, go for the 20. Heck, I can shed way  more than a pound just by getting rid of unnecessary gear.

The 12's biggest advantage besides a much bigger payload, is the availability of a very wide range of ammo. Everything from trap and dove loads clear up to coyote loads are widely available and easy to find.

g8rvet

Quote from: EZ on July 02, 2016, 07:10:51 PM
Quote from: Happy on June 11, 2016, 07:07:44 AM
All things equal, a 12 guage will always outperform the 20 guage. Now the 20 will make a fine turkey rig if you want to put the time and money into it. There is really no wrong answer just personal preference and how much money you want to invest in it.

Well said.
My choice is 12 ga. The only advantage I see in a 20 is the carrying weight. The weights listed for an 870 12 vs. a 20 is a pound (depending on barrel lengths). So if a pound of weight makes a lot of difference to you, go for the 20. Heck, I can shed way  more than a pound just by getting rid of unnecessary gear.

The 12's biggest advantage besides a much bigger payload, is the availability of a very wide range of ammo. Everything from trap and dove loads clear up to coyote loads are widely available and easy to find.

I can shed more than a pound by taking care of business right after I leave my truck (especially if I have already had some coffee and a chew!). 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

WyoHunter

Quote from: GobbleNut on June 10, 2016, 12:35:04 PM
Gauge does not matter.  Knowing how (and where) your gun shoots,...and at what ranges,...and then having the self-discipline to limit yourself to shots that you know you can make,...is what matters.  Know your gun, whatever you use, and know its (and your) limitations.
Good advice! My 20 ga. is lighter to carry though.
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

catman529

Quote from: reynolds243 on June 09, 2016, 06:10:00 PM
Weight

I hunt with both but use the 20 more these days. Lighter to carry and maneuver. Also I load TSS in my 20 so it's prob more deadly then my 12.

Joshua 24:15
"But as for me and my household, we will serve the Lord."

Sent from my phone sucka
you would hate to hunt with my NEF gun. I finally got a sling for it, since I found one at the co op in Bottomland and couldn't resist. No telling how many miles I've walked switching between hand and shoulder carrying that gun. It was all worth it though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TauntoHawk

I can get plenty of range out of either gun I prefer to carry the 20 its small and light
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

deadbuck

A lot of guys are shooting turkeys with 28 ga and .410 at 40 yards + now. 20 gauge may soon be considered overkill.

Spitten and drummen

I will tell you this. I have a benelli blackeagle2 12 ga and a benelli m2 20ga. I will put that 20 ga loaded with 1-5/8 ounce #9 tss up against any 12 ga load out there other than a 12 loaded with more tss shot. It will out perform any 12 ga load at equal distances including heavy shot. That being said , you should tote and hunt with whatever you are comfortable with as long as it is legal. To say a 12 ga will just flat out perform a 20ga is not true. Its about what you are shooting out of it. Factory wise , a 12 will out perform a 20 but throw tss in the mix and we are talking about a different animal all together.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

silvestris

Those thinking of using the 20 gauge Longbeard XR (I am going to give them a look see) should consider the 1,000 fps and adjust their range accordingly.  Winchester's advertising doesn't pass the smell test.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Spitten and drummen

Quote from: silvestris on February 01, 2017, 08:53:27 PM
Those thinking of using the 20 gauge Longbeard XR (I am going to give them a look see) should consider the 1,000 fps and adjust their range accordingly.  Winchester's advertising doesn't pass the smell test.
this is true. If i was going to use a 20 gauge factory load , it would be 3" fed hvy weight 7's only. Again , its personal preferance.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE