OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Tom Head Color?

Started by jims, February 21, 2014, 02:32:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jims

I was wondering if many of you paint the heads on your tom decoys.  I've gotten a couple tom decoys that have a lot of white on the head.  From what I've heard the toms with a lot of white in their heads are often the dominate toms in the flock.  I would expect this could intimidate or spook some of the lessor toms?  However, maybe the dominate tom might get pretty agressive if he sees another tom trying to take over his hens?

Another question is....what about red?  Would it be a good idea to add or subtract red from the head and neck?

2eagles

I don't know much about turkey hunting.  That said, I did a repaint on a Carry Lite jake I bought.  I wanted more red color, but I don't know why.?  It seemed very blue to me.  So I bought some flat red and went to work.  Now I'm happier.  And I don't care what the turkeys think!! 

bamagtrdude

Check out my jake re-paint video on YouTube: http://youtu.be/8NZd0KdCjxQ

I reference this 'cause -- this paint job has worked flawlessly for years.  I re-painted it exactly the way this thing came.  Can't tell you how many times this decoy has been flogged!!  haha...
---
Bama Guitar Dude (bamagtrdude)

Tbrom

jims

Tbrom, That's a great looking tom head!  If you aren't a taxidermist you ought to consider it as a 2nd career!  Here's another post with a description and paint job.  This guy REALLY seems to know his stuff!  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qncgIuG3dfs

Tbrom

Quote from: jims on February 24, 2014, 08:46:30 PM
Tbrom, That's a great looking tom head!  If you aren't a taxidermist you ought to consider it as a 2nd career!  Here's another post with a description and paint job.  This guy REALLY seems to know his stuff!  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qncgIuG3dfs

Thanks, I am not a taxidermist but I do a lot of waterfowl decoy carving. Good video! I agree with what he is saying. You will hear guys talk about a decoy spooking birds and the pure white headed bird is the boss. I always thought it was due to lack of gobbling and the boss didn't need to verbally announce his presence or to gather his harem. I rarely see a bird display a pure white head without hens and they dont seem to be as vocal. And if they do start to gobble the head and wattles turn red.

brittman

I notice very little white on jakes, mostly red and most of the red is along the neck below his beak.  Top of head is blue-gray.  I have watched jakes waddles turn red right in-front of me at least a half dozen times.

Agree the big dominant Tom's have the white softball heads.

jims

Unfortunately I'm color-blind but still can see shades of colors when in direct sunlight.  Turkeys must not be color-blind like many big game species.  Male birds sure are colorful so I imagine they must see color pretty well.

bbcoach

If you want to replicate turkey colors for your decoys, then I suggest you go to the Dave Smith website and use the pictures on the website for comparison.  Some of the most life like decoys going.

gobbler777

Quote from: bbcoach on February 25, 2014, 07:17:45 AM
If you want to replicate turkey colors for your decoys, then I suggest you go to the Dave Smith website and use the pictures on the website for comparison.  Some of the most life like decoys going.
X2
For Gibson and Mincey crow calls visit CrowMart at www.crowmart.com  Turkey Guide - Maryland

jwm1485

Anyone paint the head of a pretty boy junior and have a pic?

rutnstrut

Primos jake mobile. Hardly ever use it but after seeing this thread it gave me an idea to repaint it.
Before

After

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bamagtrdude

Quote from: rutnstrut on February 27, 2014, 07:29:18 AM
Primos jake mobile. Hardly ever use it but after seeing this thread it gave me an idea to repaint it.
Before
After

There ya go!
---
Bama Guitar Dude (bamagtrdude)

appalachianstruttstopper

First thing I done when I bought my B-mobile was paint the head. The one I bought had a lot of white on it and when I finished it, I only left a white crown.