turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

which bird to go after?

Started by jim67, March 31, 2013, 09:02:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jim67

Ok, I have a small hunting area 19ac,but have permission to hunt 2 tracts aof land next to mine.Every spring I hear gobbling in 3 different places.I have been semi lucky a few times just sitting and calling but maybe want to try to get cose to a roosted bird.The last time I tried it I got busted. So which one? I have an idea how to get there now without being busted, but I dont know where they go fter flydown. I have also busted hens roosting while walking to my setup. These 3 areas are all pretty close, 2 are very close to where I park.

BrowningGuy88

First of all go in earlier and make less noise.

Then pick whichever one you want and be quiet on your approach. Be the first hen to make a sound and don't call to loud at first light.

TauntoHawk

if they are already gobbling you are too late to get real close, roost them at night and get in well before they wake up.. If your quiet and move slow you can slip in and basicly set up shop as close as you want under the cover of darkness.

One of my favorite late season tactics when the birds aren't responding well during the hot days is to set up in the drop zone right infront of the roost trees as close as 30-50yds. By that late in the season I usually have a really good pin point on roost trees and where they are going to fly too. I've had birds land at 5yds and thats a rush in and of itself when they are flying right at you.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

nbadger23

Your description sounds similar to a situation I've encountered as well.  I likely have more questions than answers :-)    I'm wondering what you're looking to accomplish by getting closer.  Are you hoping to guess on their fly down spot and shoot them right after fly down w/o calling or are you looking to call to them while they are in the tree and hope they fly down in your general area?

The advice I've always been given on getting close to roosted birds is to get in very early and go slowly.  They are used to hearing noises in the dark below them and as long as it's dark enough where they can't see you they shouldn't spook.  The tricky part is going to be knowing where to set up because you don't want to end up too close. You're also going to have to be very aware to what's going on in the trees around you as it gets light as you could find yourself very, very close to birds you didn't know were around and now you have to avoid their eyes.  I had one friend tell me of being crapped on by a turkey in the same tree he was sitting against and he never knew the bird was in that tree until he got hit on the head  :)

redleg06

If you know where they roost and have a problem busting them off the roost then I'd get in there the evening before and either kill them going to the roost OR find out where they fly up so I'd know where I was going to be sitting the next morning. Get in there at pitch black and make as little noise as possible if you get one roosted.