Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

What to expect in Kansas, the first week of May?

Started by bbcoach, March 27, 2013, 10:53:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbcoach

Looks like a couple of friends and I will be heading to North Central Kansas the first week of May.  Need to know what to expect?  We've hunted Easterns and Osceolas so we're looking forward to getting after the Rios.  I know the areas are more open and the birds are more concentrated.  Any tips will be Greatly Appreciated.  Thanks.     

mudhen

With this weather, anything could, and probably will, happen!

Two years ago I hunted north central KS, and it was 105F getting gas on Monday in Lincoln, and the high was 47F not 48 hours later.

But, the birds were ready, and it could be very good, I'd work on getting close....

mudhen
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

theghost_03

Where ya hunting at coach?  I'm heading near Lincoln the last weekend of April.
"In the spring we STRUT, and in the fall we RUT"
GOBBLER DOWN CUSTOM CALLS

bbcoach

Thanks Guys for the info so far.  We'll be hunting just north of Ellis.  I understand that the Rio's are somewhat easier to call and will tolerate more aggressive calling then the Eastern's or Osceola's.  I also hear that the Rio's tend to stay grouped up (10-30 birds) so there is more eyes on you, so any movement is surely spotted.  Also I understand that there is minimum cover available to set up in. Trying to get my head on straight before I arrive so I can develop a game plan.  Looking forward to having a Wonderful Time and maybe get the third part of my Slam.  Anybody that has hunted Kansas, feel free to Chime in. 

cuttinAR

Couple of tips.  In early May in N. Central KS they will 99% surely have hens with them first thing and some times going back to roost in the evening.  Best approach then is to ambush, stalk or any other means to get in range after flydown.  Don't get hung up on calling at a group of 4 toms strutting for 10+ hens.  You will not get lucky many times.

Best thing to do that time of year is the mid-morning to afternoon hunt.  Setup and be patient because the toms will start to cruise then and they can hear calling for a long ways.  Careful not to move around too much, ie run and gun, cause they can see right through the trees on the drainages from field to field.  You'll understand once you see it.  Take along a pair of shears and better yet a gobbler lounger to make yourself some cover.  Don't count on there being many trees to setup on in the best locations.  Hope this helps.