Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Hunting on land recently thinned for timber

Started by WickedBama, February 19, 2013, 10:41:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WickedBama

Lets give viewers some tips on hunting areas where timber or large sums of property have been thinned or cut.
Live For It!

atoler

well, you go to the land. You wait for dawn. You hoot or just listen. You hear a gobble. go set up, call him in, and kill him........ :thanks:

In all seriousness, I'm not sure what you're asking. Turkeys like fresh clearcuts, but once they get thick they typically don't. as far as a select cut, or thinning, it really just depends on that particular instance, and how thick the pines were before. Most of the time thinned pines are not any worse than before, sometimes better, sometimes not.

WickedBama

First line= that's what we always hope for.
Live For It!

dirtnap

It generally makes for better hunting in the long run.  However, right after a cut in some instances it is very open and makes it hard to move around much after daylight.  I have hunted turkeys that would stay out in the middle of a 100 acre select cut that was freshly burned as well. You couldn't move on the bird.  You had to stay on the edge and try to call him.   I tend to like it better once they grow up a little.

J Hook Max

Turkeys are more attracted to the thinned timber in general and if it has been burned, it can be really good. Learn where the best location to set up is near the edge. If there is a drainage or water near, they should roost close to it. Set up as close as possible. Many times, you will have to enter in the dark to your setup to avoid being seen.
Basically, I love hunting where the timber has been thinned , but it has it's challenges for hiding and moving. You must be more patient.

saltysenior

if it's a clear cut dig yourself a foxhole exactly in the center.....then work on how you can utilize it.  :turkey: