OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

The Lead Shooters Forum has Picked Up This Year!!!

Started by 3" 870 Shell Shucker, March 29, 2013, 08:12:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

darn2ten

Yeah, 300+ might look cool on paper but it does no more for you at forty yards on a turkey than 100+ lead. As a matter of fact I don't think it does as much some times. All I know is from my experience, I've killed 3 birds with #7 hevi from 27 to 35 yards and not one has been flat out leveled like many of the same type shots with lead #5's

turkeyhunter91

Quote from: SgtUSMC on March 30, 2013, 03:45:27 PM
I switched to HTL last year.  Not sure how it happened really.  It was ridiculous how much I was against spending 4 or 5 dollars a shell.   The only reason I got my hands on some was after getting a Cabelas gift card for Christmas at the same time Hevi 13 was on sale.   

I patterned it and immediately got the bug, started buying it whenever I could afford it.  Got to shoot a bird with it last year and it was no more dead than the lead killed ones.

So now I'm back, got an IC BDS that's shooting great lead patterns and trying to at least get 1 box of turkey thugs anytime me or the mrs. are anywhere near a Walmart.    I guess I got so addicted to the "number" game instead of getting a good hunting pattern.   I have to keep telling myself that the ultimate goal here is to kill a bird, not get ten or 20 more holes in a piece of paper.

That being said, anyone shoot the 20 gauge Thugs yet?   My son is 6 so I figure in a few years he'll be ready for some mentored youth action.   Gonna pass him down the youth model 870 that my ol man bought me when I was 12.

i tried the 20 ga turkey thugs through my mossburg, they shot better than rem or winchesters through my gun, i cant remember exact numbers but it put 10 or 12 pellets in the turkeys head and neck on paper at 40 yards, but i decided to go with fed flight control wads because they put over 20 in the head and neck on the target at 40

dawei

HTL loads are exorbitantly expensive. I get very good results with Pb #4 & 5 shot in my two 20ga turkey sticks. I use the Winchester® Supreme® #4's in my Mossberg® pump; and the Remington® Nitro-Turkey™ #5's in my Remington® (Baikal) SxS.

I am most anxious to try Federal® 20ga Turkey thug ammunition! Does anyone have a link where I can find some online? I can't find anything about them on the Federal® Premium® website. Any help you can provide would be most appreciated.

David

Only two defining forces ever died for you.
1. Jesus Christ.
2. The American Soldier, Sailor, Airman, and Marine.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

1Cross+3Nails=4Given

FttFttVroom!

Think they are a Walmart special only, and I don't believe you can order online. 

BrowningGuy88

With the way my 935 is shooting lead 6's it will never see a Hevi shell. After I deep cleaned the barrel it is averaging a little over 150 now at 40. With an aftermarket choke I expect to be 170+. Why wouldn't you shoot lead with those numbers???

3" 870 Shell Shucker

QuoteI am most anxious to try Federal® 20ga Turkey thug ammunition! Does anyone have a link where I can find some online?

Wal-Mart only, and in-store only.

dawei

Quote from: 3" 870 Shell Shucker on April 01, 2013, 08:29:10 AM
QuoteI am most anxious to try Federal® 20ga Turkey thug ammunition! Does anyone have a link where I can find some online?

Wal-Mart only, and in-store only.
Thank you!!!!!

David

Only two defining forces ever died for you.
1. Jesus Christ.
2. The American Soldier, Sailor, Airman, and Marine.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

1Cross+3Nails=4Given

surehuntsalot

I have shot lead for over 35 years,even managed to get a bird or two here and there.
I did buy into the HTL  craze and picked up a few boxes here and there,but I can assure you that when they are gone,they are gone,there is no way I'm paying 4,5 or 6 dollars a shell for NO ammo
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Longshanks

The most exciting part of turkey hunting to me is trying to see how close the turkey will come. Although I have 3 guns that turn amazing patterns with HTL..I have two children that will be hunting in the next couple of years. Took a few guns and set them up with more open chokes and lead with consistent 30 yd patterns. Calling turkeys close and woodmanship is what I will teach them..the same way I was taught. My dad used to tell me to shoot 20 yds or less. Hunted with fixed full choke and Pb 5's. turkey hunting these days with HTL, allot of folks shoot as soon as they see the turkey at longer distances. To each his own..The funnest part is when they get inside 20yds gobbling and looking for you. After all these years still makes my hands shake and the hair stand up on the back of my neck.

VooDooMagic

+1 Longshanks, I believe you hit the proverbial nail on the head.  I also believe the point of the exercise is to call them in as close as you possibly can.  Too many folks have turned it into a  'shooting' sport for my taste with these 'kills them out to 70 yards' combinations.  Lead seems like a reasonable tether to keep me attached to my long held convictions of what it is all about.....call'em in close and give'em a good dose of chilled 6's!