turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

messed with striker

Started by kevfish, February 17, 2016, 11:03:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kevfish

So I got to sanding and cutting on the end of a striker and cant get the thing to produce decent sound again. Any tips on how to fix???

Yelper

I did that once. Learned my lesson, buy another one. :anim_25:

M Sharpe

What was the purpose for cutting it off?
Yelper is probably right.
I'm not a Christian because I'm strong and have it all together. I'm a Christian because I'm weak and admit I need a Saviour!

Spitten and drummen

I have sanded the stem down and have sanded the tips down from a mushroom tip but never cut one off. I think cutting the length most likely ruined the striker. good luck and take it as a learned lesson. hopefully it wasn't a expensive striker.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

KentuckyHeadhunter

I agree with the above post.  How much did you cut off?  The length is very important. 
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

kevfish

tha bugman

mwr

I have an Alex Williams Ipe Striker that I sanded the mushroom tip down to a straight tip, I like it better now!

SS Calls

Quote from: kevfish on February 18, 2016, 10:41:47 AM
I just cut about a 1/4 inch.

1/4" can make a huge difference. Sometimes good, sometimes bad.

outdoors

The first striker that I tried to make was a 6" red cadar turned out good I could use it on my calls
I lost in the woods sooooo I'm going to try and make another .
I think it's the striker as a hole the DIAMITER of the striking end .......
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

tha bugman

One of my favorite strikers of all time was a Primos Power Striker..that peg on a Power Crystal was amazing.  I wish I knew how many birds I called up with that combo...anyway something got on it...probably Deet and it never was the same.  cut sanded you name it...it never worked again  :'(

M Sharpe

If you are still running it on that power crystal, it's probably time for a new call. Deet would more than likely just mess with the finish on it. Those power crystal are known for playing good for a few years then all of a sudden going dead.
I'm not a Christian because I'm strong and have it all together. I'm a Christian because I'm weak and admit I need a Saviour!

wvmntnhick

Quote from: M Sharpe on February 19, 2016, 06:14:52 PM
If you are still running it on that power crystal, it's probably time for a new call. Deet would more than likely just mess with the finish on it. Those power crystal are known for playing good for a few years then all of a sudden going dead.

I believe their issue is with the soundboard, not the finish but could be wrong. Has happened once or twice.

M Sharpe

Yep, plastic doesn't have a so-call finish on it. He's done sanded and everything else. It's just a dead call.....which like I say, was quite common for them.