turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Turkey meat question

Started by Brian Fahs, May 18, 2024, 03:03:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian Fahs

I have a question for the long road trip turkey hunters. I usually hunt 4 states each spring. I have access to freezers in those states through buddies I've met over the years so meat spoilage is a non issue.

This year I will retire from my job and intend
to spend  a lot more time next spring hunting new places far from home.

My question is how to keep turkey meat from spoiling. I spent 20 nights in my toyota tundra this spring and camp comfortably. Meat spoilage is my dilemma. Any thoughts?

Tom007

I heard those 12 volt coolers work pretty good....
"Solo hunter"

Dtrkyman

Fortunately I bounce from place to place where I can keep in in the freeze.

Bottomland OG

Eat a lot of turkey meat :TooFunny:
On a serious note Get you a good ice chest if you don't have one already. I keep my turkey rinsed off with fresh water every few days so it doesn't sour and keep it on plenty of ice so it stays cold and it will keep for a couple weeks no problem.

Brian Fahs

Quote from: Dtrkyman on May 18, 2024, 03:49:40 PMFortunately I bounce from place to place where I can keep in in the freeze.
That's how I currently roll.

I've done a trip or 2 where we ate the meat or gave it away.

Just looking for a better solution.

Brian Fahs

Quote from: Bottomland OG on May 18, 2024, 03:53:55 PMEat a lot of turkey meat :TooFunny:
On a serious note Get you a good ice chest if you don't have one already. I keep my turkey rinsed off with fresh water every few days so it doesn't sour and keep it on plenty of ice so it stays cold and it will keep for a couple weeks no problem.
Interesting.

I have a couple rtic rotomolded coolers but it seems my ice melts in them just as fast as my $30 coleman.

Bottomland OG

Quote from: Brian Fahs on May 18, 2024, 04:00:57 PM
Quote from: Bottomland OG on May 18, 2024, 03:53:55 PMEat a lot of turkey meat :TooFunny:
Interesting.

I have a couple rtic rotomolded coolers but it seems my ice melts in them just as fast as my $30 coleman.
To be honest I have both also but I have had 2 100qt Colman xtreme that keeps ice better than anything I've tried so that's what I keep my turkey in. They are around $100 bucks I think.

2flyfish4

You can put the meat in one of those Styrofoam shipping coolers with some dry ice and overnight it to your house or nearby family or friend to put in the freezer.

Yes it will be expensive, likely $75-$100. But none of us turkey hunt bc it's an economical way to put meat on the table.

Brian Fahs

Quote from: 2flyfish4 on May 18, 2024, 04:22:01 PMYou can put the meat in one of those Styrofoam shipping coolers with some dry ice and overnight it to your house or nearby family or friend to put in the freezer.

Yes it will be expensive, likely $75-$100. But none of us turkey hunt bc it's an economical way to put meat on the table.
Nice thought but not happening. Thanks for your response.

WV Flopper

Quote from: Tom007 on May 18, 2024, 03:45:56 PMI heard those 12 volt coolers work pretty good....

Me too.

Dtrkyman

I also keep a bag cooler inside a larger cooler, keeps stuff cold a long time.

I have been making turkey salad with the legs wings and thighs, beats PBJ for pack lunch.

I stopped off at my sisters this year as usual and jammed her freezer full while I hunted a couple more states!

Maybe hit up a local taxidermist and rent some freezer space?

ChesterCopperpot

Any time I've ever traveled and stayed on the road I've taken my vacuum sealer with me and sealed as I went. Once sealed I just keep everything as cold as I can keep it with fresh ice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kayl

I looked at a plug in cooler at Costco and it was very nice, albeit expensive.
https://www.costco.com/.product.4000233439.html

ddturkeyhunter

I have a big Igloo cooler not sure size but could put two or three full turkeys in it. Anyway I freeze ahead of time about fifteen or so one quart orange juice jugs and stand them upright on bottom of cooler. Enough to cover entire floor and that will last me a few weeks at a time. I just breast things out take legs and thighs pull out a few jugs from center and put meat in between and good to go. Never no extra water in cooler and jugs don't melt that fast. The only other thing I do is because it sits on the back end of my truck in the hot sun. Then I have and old white bed comforter I put over cooler to help keep heat from the cooler.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ruination

Gotta say, I'm not so confident on keeping something on ice for weeks and eating it.

It needs to be frozen as far as food safety is concerned.

.410 Favors the Bold