OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Any Shadetree Mechanic Here ?

Started by redarrow, July 14, 2012, 02:06:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redarrow

Actually any mechanic will do. I am replacing the Tine shaft,tine holders ,bearings,seals,and bronze worm gear,on my old reliable Troy Bilt pony.With the exception of one gasket I finally got all the parts together.Most of the parts are no longer available from Troy Bilt since they merged with MTD. Anyway ,do I need to lubricate or used any sort of gasket sealer on the bearing races and shaft seals before installing them ? I dont have an arbor press so I assumed I can carefully tap the races into place. Thanks .

TurkeyScratch

I would pack them real well with grease before installing.

redarrow

The brgs. are gonna be inside the differential and bathed in 90-140 gear lube..The seals keep the lube from leaking out.

guesswho

You don't need to put anything on the races, they will just tap in.  You don't need to put anythuing on the o.d. of the seals either, they come with a thin coat of sealer almost like loctite on them.  If you want to you can put some of the lube on the rubber lip like you do an oil filter but it's not necessary.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

redarrow

Thank you. I got antsy and took a chance before reading your suggestion. I got it right.Did it just like you said. Thanks.