OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Pistol Question: .22 LR bullets in .22 mag?

Started by gatrapper, July 12, 2012, 02:27:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gatrapper

Hey Y'all,

I have an old Colt single action frontier .22 magnum revolver.

I know its a .22 mag, but could I just just regular .22 LR rounds through it?

I want to use it for trapping and .22 mag rounds are to big for dispatch and expensive.
"Champions don't make excuses, they make plays." - Richard Seymour.

redarrow

I have a Ruger Super Single Six witrh 2 cylinders. One for magnum and one for .22 s/l/lr. For the life of me I cant remember if the mag.cyl.will shoot them all.If I can find my manual I will see what it says.

Skeeterbait

No do not do that.  The 22 mag shell is slightly larger diameter than the 22 standard.  The 22 standard will be a little loose in the cylinder and will at a minimum swell when it fires.  Worst case it could split and allow flame into the cylinder, could erode the cylinder, could cause a bullet to stick in the barrel and you could follow it with another bullet, etc.

jblackburn

No, don't do that unless you have a .22 LR cylinder.  My uncle as the Peacemaker with interchangable cylinders for that reason.
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

gatrapper

Anyone got an idea where I could buy the 22 cylinder?  I have looked on Google and can't find any.

natman

Try e-gunparts.com, gunbroker.com, auctionarms.com.

The last two are auction sites where you can save a search until one shows up.

You might want to look into 22 Winchester Rim Fire (22WRF) ammo. It's a sort of 22 mag short that unlike 22 LR is safe to fire in a 22 Mag chamber.

Winchester (occasionally) and CCI make it.

http://www.cci-ammunition.com/products/detail.aspx?use=3&loadNo=0069

gatrapper

Thanks for the help.

I found the cylinder on the first site, but holy heck they are expensive, $110-$120 for one.  :o :o