Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Binoculars - Bushnell 8x42 Legend Ultra HD Quality?

Started by Dan Smith, July 11, 2012, 11:21:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan Smith

While I understand the answers are going to be subjective, I'm looking for some subjectivity here.

Looking at purchasing a good set of Binoculars and keep the price under $250 for the set.  Obviously used for Turkey Hunting with a good harness.

Should I go with 8X42 or 10X42 and what would you all recommend?

The Bushnell 8x42 Legend Ultra HD Binoculars seem to get good reviews.  I'd prefer camo, but these series only come in 10X42 in camo.

What would you all recommend as far as the power, brand and model keeping the price under $250?

Thanks in advance for the responses.

hookedspur

I use the 10x42 for everything.
I like the extra power.
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

Turkey Trot

Vortex Diamondbacks stack up very well against Nikon Monarchs (I think a little better than Nikon).  A 10 mag is going to have a narrower FOV and light in low light conditions theoretically will not be as good as the 8. 

I think a 10X42 is about ideal for running and gunning in the SE, we don't have to glass critters as far away as on the plains.  So it depends on what your application is.
Until The Turkeys Have Their Historians, Tales Of The Hunt Shall Always Glorify The Hunter

Tail Feathers

I have a set of Bushnell Legend's about 10 years old.  Very good for the money.
They say they'll buy them back if you aren't happy.  Can't argue with that!
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

DUCKDIGGLER

Another vote for Nikon Monarchs......can't beat their quality and warranty. As stated before.....10X if you need the magnification but they won't be quite as bright as the 8X42s. I have used the Nikon Monarch5s in 8X42s for a few seasons now in all types of weather conditions....they have been flawless and still preform as well as they did when they were new.

coyotetrpr

Jakes are like scotch. They are not worth a darn until they age.

drenalinld

I would recommend 8x. Brighter in low light conditions. In that price range the higher magnification typically fatigues the eyes quicker.

VaTuRkStOmPeR

You can't get "good" binoculars for 250 bucks....

I'd keep saving.

Turkey Trot

One can get binoculars that are wholly adequate for turkey hunting in eastern states for $250 or less.  It's not like evaluating points on sheep or elk at tremendous ranges.  I don't believe most would count binoculars as the number 1 or 2 tool in turkey hunting, and most don't even use them.  They are nice to have on some occasions, but not absolutely necessary to kill a turkey. 
Until The Turkeys Have Their Historians, Tales Of The Hunt Shall Always Glorify The Hunter

Tail Feathers

I agree with Turkey Trot.  You're usually only looking a couple hundred yards around these parts.
Small is good, 8X works well for me.  10X would be OK but when you get higher than that it's hard to use 'em without your movement becoming an issue.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

bbcoach

I have the 8X and 10X Legends and both are GREAT for the money.  IMO they are probably the best Bino for the money and I've had alot of the guys that I hunt with say the same thing.  The Legends are clear edge to edge, have quality glass and Rainguard is a plus on wet and cold days when you get rain or condensation on them.  My preference in the two is the 8X's for a couple of reasons already mentioned 1. 8X's let in more light at dawn and dusk when you need a few more minutes 2. you don't notice the shake in the 8X's as much as the 10X's 3. 100% guarantee, If you don't like them Bushnell will buy them back.  My suggestion is go to a store that sells them and look through them along with several other manufactures binos and make your own choice.  I DID!  By the way, EBay normally has the best prices.

bigredneck61088

Nikons, every pair of bushnells ive had fell apart... maybe it was just me tho

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Woodsman4God

Quote from: VaTuRkStOmPeR on July 13, 2012, 07:12:21 AM
You can't get "good" binoculars for 250 bucks....

I'd keep saving.

Yes you can, I just recently bought a pair of Vanguard Spirit XFs which are as good as any $4-500 pair of Binoculars I picked up, they make a few versions from $199-$399, the ones i have I got at Cabelas for $199. 8x 42 spirit xf, they also make an 8 x 36 spirit plus pair that is smaller than most , almost a compact bino that is really nice, I am actually gonna get those too. Awesome Clarity, great fov and lightweight. Those are the base models and they ahve an ED model which is $299 -$399 which gives better color transmittion, Bird Watchers of America gave them a perfect score on whatever their rating is.  the lower end ones have a $25 rebate and the ED versions have a $50 rebate. Give them a try and I think you will find your new Binos.