OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

double action vs single action

Started by longspur, July 10, 2012, 10:56:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

longspur

don't have a lot of handgun experience but what little I do have I could shoot better with SA, however the accuracy of the guns may have been different and the cal. was not the same. I know trigger pull is a major factor when shooting a rifle. Reason I ask is that I've had my eye on a px4 storm "F"for several months but it's not ever mentioned when someone asks for recomendations, here or on other forums. If I'm shooting targets I can shoot SA but if I need to grab and shoot I can do that too. With pratice can you shoot DA as well? Does this gun have a bad track record?

redarrow

Self defense.DA    Targets and plinking and hunting.SA

Skeeterbait

The added length of travel and weight induces you to torque the grip in double action.  Recognize this and train yourself to isolate the movement of your trigger finger from the remainder of your fingers and hand as you pull the trigger.  In other words, concentrate on tightening the trigger finger without tightening the other fingers.

For target accuracy, you can learn to stage the hammer in double action.  Some guns are better at this than others, S&W revolvers do this especially well.  In other words, you learn to pull the trigger until it is just about to release, pause a second, exhale as you pull the trigger the last bit to release.  This way it is similar to pulling a trigger in single action.

This chart can help you determine what you may be doing with your hand depending on what quadrant around the bullseye your bullet is striking.

longspur

thanks guys. the chart will help alot, especially if I go with DA. Thats why I was looking at the beretta so hard. I could have both worlds and even pratice target shooting with DA if I wanted. It don't seem to have any fans.

eddie234

I still carry an older smith (5906, 9mm) first shot is DA then it turns into SA. I really like the feel and balance of the gun.