OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

For us waterfowlers

Started by Sherrell, July 04, 2012, 07:58:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sherrell

It looks like some areas of the praire pothole regions are in a dry pattern.looks like we may still have a banner year though from last years hatch.

http://www.deltawaterfowl.org/media/pr/2012/120703-BPOP.php

Old Gobbler

Quote from: Sherrell on July 04, 2012, 07:58:15 PM
It looks like some areas of the praire pothole regions are in a dry pattern.looks like we may still have a banner year though from last years hatch.

I was looking at those reports just today -

Sherrell - I still owe you those layout decoys ..... :wave:  redheads or ringnecks ? ask your boy what he wants for his boat
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

savduck

Hopefully we will get some weather to send em south.
Georgia Boy

Sherrell

Quote from: Old Gobbler on July 04, 2012, 08:37:54 PM

Sherrell - I still owe you those layout decoys ..... :wave:  redheads or ringnecks ? ask your boy what he wants for his boat
Thanks but we are good...with nearly 700 blocks in the shed we are in good shape.

Sherrell

Quote from: savduck on July 04, 2012, 11:42:03 PM
Hopefully we will get some weather to send em south.

I was worried last year about the warm weather when we got to our spot in Louisiana...place was slam full of birds.I suppose nothing slows them down from heading to those coastal marshes.

WNM

All I'm hoping for is enough water to fill up my wood duck holes this year. Anything beyond that is a bonus

chcltlabz

Supposed to be a banner year with more ducks than ever counted, but then again, last year was supposed to be almost that good, and I sure didn't see it.

I hunted Alberta, North Dakota and here at home in the Maryland area and I didn't see good numbers of birds anywhere.  Must be that new math.
A veteran is someone who, at one point, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'up to and including their life.'

That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.

savduck

Last year was very weird. GA isn't exactly known as the best in the Atlantic flyway, but I normally harvest between 75 to 100 birds a season. Mostly teal, mottled, and woodies.

Last year we had more blue wing than ever, but no puddles showed up. I ended up killing piles of divers way early in the season. It was very weird last year. I think I only shot like four woodies all season.
Georgia Boy

Old Gobbler

Quote from: Sherrell on July 05, 2012, 07:34:33 AM
Quote from: Old Gobbler on July 04, 2012, 08:37:54 PM
It looks like some areas of the prairie pothole regions are in a dry pattern.looks like we may still have a banner year though from last years hatch.

Thanks but we are good...with nearly 700 blocks in the shed we are in good shape.

sounds good  :icon_thumright:  , didn't want you to think I forgot about you

I predicted and moaned and groaned about some non western flyway  states popping up the pintail harvest from 1 to 2 a day ...you bet it will get yanked down to 1 a day this year on the east coast , they were too fast out the gate with upping the limit - there was a nesting disaster this year most likely attributable to the prairie   drought , and commodities skyrocketing ....  the result is  farmers utilizing every square inch for corn and wheat output, cant blame them  - We get 1 or two more years like this ..... bad news for the farmers and ducks

Bluebills look to be having a good year , we noticed lots of those down here - remember when they were a 10 point duck ? 

-Shannon

Sherrell

I remember when USFWS provided us with a special scaup season on Tampa bay after duck season had ended.

Old Gobbler

Its been a long time since I have had someone jog my memory on the extended scaup season - they were more numerous back then

Hopefully they show a couple years of increase , I would much rather shoot those than the ringnecks , for the sake of cleaning them - ringnecks have the skin just about glued to the meat 

-Shannon

Sherrell

Ringnecks remind me of sea ducks I have hunted.they have flak jackets like Eiders.

ghillie

Kinda sad to see the pintail numbers dropping...nothing better than seeing those sprigs in the air.

It's drier than a popcorn fart up here right now.  We need a bunch of rain or it will be another flyby year for us!!

Turkey Trot

Back in the late 90's, NC had a pintail limit of 3.  Hunting those rascals in Pamlico Sound, along with the other ducks around and Brant geese was fun.  I didn't get to go up there much before it fizzled. 
Until The Turkeys Have Their Historians, Tales Of The Hunt Shall Always Glorify The Hunter

Sherrell

We couldn't keep sprigs out of the blocks last year.

They are of special concern and hope to see them rebound.

Nothing like sprigs and baldpates hovering over the spread.