turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Need advice on selecting a Pistol

Started by Eric Gregg, June 21, 2012, 11:44:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eric Gregg

Did some looking around online last night and I think that I will go with eigher a Glock or Sig. The baby Glocks looked awesome and offer them in either a 9x19 or 357.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

lightsoutcalls

I have the Glock 31 (full sized, not compact) in .357 Sig.  I have not done much shooting with it, but like the way it feels in my hand.  I would have to have the magazines with grip extension on the compact models.  I put the TruGlo tritium fiber optic sights on it.  They glow like a lighted fiber optic sight in the dark.
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

WildTigerTrout

I carry a Smith & Wesson K Frame Model 64 Stainless 2" barrel 38 Special. I shoot Win. Silvertip 125 Gr. +P hollowpoints. I have carrried this firearm for years and have no complaints.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

HogBiologist

Quote from: Skeeterbait on June 21, 2012, 04:24:55 PM
As many people do John, there is plenty of info on this debate all over the internet and we won't resolve it here.  Just suffice to say, if a person has on a leather jacket or winter coat, all you are likely to do is bruse him with bird shot.  It likely wont even knock him off his feet.  If it won't penetrate walls is isn't going to reach the vitals of a bad guy.

For anyone interested, read the paragraphs at the bottom of this page titled Birdshot as a defense load.

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot3_2.htm

Dont know about the read you posted, but from first hand experience, a load of 2.75" #8 will blow up a deer's head up at 10 feet.  In tight quarters and such, we use bird shot to euthanize deer (such as injured deer or sick deer in a yard).  A load of #8 out to 10 feet is still like a slug.  That is from personal experience.
Certified Wildlife Biologist

PANYHunter

I'm looking to buy one as well. I have a 44mag revolver I use for hunting but it's not very fun to carry or target shoot with so I am looking to buy an auto in 40 or 45. It's almost overwhelming with all the choices. Like someone said above make sure you know the laws and regs before carrying it with you. It may not be a bad idea to also take a self defense shooting class before carrying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

redrivergar

I have a glock 22 in .40 and a Taurus milpro in .45acp. The Taurus goes with me because it's size makes it easier to conceal. The glock stays on the nightstand. I would also vote for the Taurus judge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

coyotetrpr

I have had a 357 revolver and loved it. I now havea 45 acp and like it as well. Some time in the future I will get another 40s&w because I think it is the best pistol round available. In my opinion if you want your gun to kill something or someone very effectively stay away from the 9mm. This round was developed to kill people, but my experience with it on deer gives me a lot of pause.
Jakes are like scotch. They are not worth a darn until they age.

Turkey Beard

Another vote for the baby Glock.  I carry a Glock 27 in a Galco ankle holster very comfortably.  I also chose the .40 S&W round.
1UP GAME CALLS - Calls That Put'em On The Wall..
www.1upgamecalls.com

mossy835

For me a Ruger SR9C is both night stand and concealed carry (with permit). Handles well shoots great and the newer controlled expansion loads are going to stop a person. Also a good variety of lower recoil loads are available so my wife can enjoy shooting with me. Just my two cents worth!

:smiley-patriotic-flagwaver-an